John Manke is an active former Bay View resident who is involved in numerous neighborhood organizations, including the Bay View Historical Society, the Humboldt Park Fourth of July Association and the Shore Shore Farmers Market. He believes Bay View has a fine tradition in its past that we do not want to lose in the future.
Who created the first social center in the country and Bay View's first library? Where is the only public well left in Milwaukee? Who were the "puddlers" and where did they live?
You can learn the answers to these questions and more while visiting a dozen historic sites featured on the Bay View Historic District Walk, a two and a half-hour hour guided tour conducted by the Bay View Historical Society on Saturday, August 9th at 9:30 AM. Society members Ron Winkler and Todd Smith will lead the walk, which includes a tour of the Society's headquarters, the historic Beulah Brinton House, led by Society member Bill O'Bien. This event is open to the public and includes light refreshments.
The walk was designed by the Society to help Bay View residents and visitors gain an appreciation of the history, architecture and lifestyle of the Bay View National Historic District. The district, which was listed in the State and National Register of Historic Places in 1982, includes 329 buildings that date as far back as the early 1870's. The tour will cover the area bounded by Estes Street, South Shore Drive, Delaware and Potter Avenues. Tour participants will view sites including the home of one of Bay View's first settlers, an original puddler's cottage and the oldest surviving church built on lots donated by the Milwaukee Iron Company, and the city's last remaining artesian well.
The walk begins at 9:30 AM and will begin and end at the Beulah Brinton House, 2590 S. Superior Street. The cost of the tour is $ 5.00 for Society members and seniors, and $ 10.00 for non-members. Admission includes a tour of the Beulah Brinton House, a guided walk and light refreshments. Tickets may be reserved in advance by calling Diana David at 414-483-1285, or purchased from 9:00 - 9:30 AM at the Beulah Brinton House on the day of the walk.
The Bay View historical Society, established in 1979, is dedicated to maintaining the Bay View community through conserving, celebrating and sharing Bay View's rich heritage. With more than 500 members, it is one of the largest local historical societies in the area. The Society maintains headquarters at one of the most prominent historical sites in Bay View, the Beulah Brinton House. Built in 1872, it is considered to be among the best Gothic Revival residences in the city and was formerly home to Beulah Brinton, a community leader who turned her house into an informal social center and Bay View's first library. The Society also designates landmarks throughout Bay View and publishes a newsletter, The Historian, which contains articles of local interest. During the year, the Society conducts general membership meetings, historic walks and other social events. Membership in the Society is open to anybody interested in supporting the Society's programs.
If you have any questions, contact Ron Winkler at 414-744-9404.