John Manke is an active former Bay View resident who is involved in numerous neighborhood organizations, including the Bay View Historical Society, the Humboldt Park Fourth of July Association and the Shore Shore Farmers Market. He believes Bay View has a fine tradition in its past that we do not want to lose in the future.
YOUTH WORKS PROGRAM HELPS OTHERS
Unity Evangelical Lutheran Church, located at 1025 E. Oklahoma Avenue in Bay View, annually hosts the "Youth Works Program" with teenagers. These young people come from various states to help different organizations in the Milwaukee area. Between 40 - 72 teenagers spend 5 days in Milwaukee and then another group comes in each week during the summer to volunteer for various projects.
Some of the projects that the Milwaukee Youth Works group are doing this year:
- Helped with the activities at Humboldt Park Independence Day celebration
- St. Ann's Intergenerational programs
- Shepherd's House
- Soup kitchens
- The Gathering
- Scott Christian Youth Center Media Library Technology
- Gingerbread Land
- The Village on 84th and Oklahoma and Family House Assisted Living helping residents
- Sister Clara's Home for the Homeless and repairing and painting homes and doing lawn work
These young people, 7 - 12 grade are having a positive effect on Milwaukee. For more information, check their web site at youth works.com.