John Manke is an active former Bay View resident who is involved in numerous neighborhood organizations, including the Bay View Historical Society, the Humboldt Park Fourth of July Association and the Shore Shore Farmers Market. He believes Bay View has a fine tradition in its past that we do not want to lose in the future.
FERNWOOD/SAUERKRAUT HILL WALK
9:30 AM, SATURDAY -- AUGUST 7, 2010
Registration -- 9:00 AM at the Marian Center (old St. Mary's Academy), 3195 S. Superior Street. Participants will tour this former high school for girls founded in 1904.
Bernhard Korn Home -- 3153 S. Superior Street (1930), built by Bay View High School Principal and Bay View Historian Bernhard Korn, author of The Story of Bay View.
Bay View Park -- Was developed in 1926 when house were threatened by bluff erosion. See the houses that were moved from the park to nearby locations.
Robert Albert House -- 3149 S. Superior Street (1949), built in the Prairie Style.
Paul Gruneau House -- 2939 E. Rhode Island Avenue (1949), home to Bay View plumber Paul Gruneau, founder of the Gruneau Company, still in business today. His neighbor at 2927 E. Rhode Island Avenue (1942) was Jerome House, owner of Bay View's House Pharmacy.
Clarence & Lilian Koenig House -- 3223 S. Indiana Avenue (1930) was home to Clarence Koenig who founded the Koenig Company at 3550 S. Iowa Avenue in St. Francis.
Erwin Zillman House -- 3328 S. New York Avenue (1925) was home to "Mr. Bay View", Erwin Zillman, Alderman and editor/publisher of The Bay View Observer.
St. Francis State Bank/Knights of Pytheos/Cream City Realty -- 3474 S. Pennsylvania Avenue (1923) was the original home of St. Francis State Bank.
Morgan Park -- Established in 1927 on triangle formed by Pennsylvania, Kinnickinnic, and Holt Avenues to honor Elizabeth Morgan, beloved teacher at the old Red Brick School and at Trowbridge Street School which replaced it.
Roman's Tavern (1885) -- on KK and Morgan was a tavern and stagecoach stop.
Russell Bennett House, 3317 S. Kinnickinnic Avenue (1855-56), the oldest known home in Bay View, built in Gothic Revival style on a hill by farmer Russell Bennett.
Fernwood Montessori School -- 3239 S. Pennsylvania Avenue was founded in 1895 as a Town of Lake school. The present school dates from 1928.
Messiah Lutheran Church, 2015 E. Fernwood Avenue (1961) was founded in 1917 and the original church still stands at 3208 S. Kinnickinnic Avenue.
Ellen Park was a garbage dump with a horse barn nearby to house the horses that pulled the trash carts.
For more information, contact Ron Winkler at 414-744-9404.