Each holiday season tends to have its own trends, and this year the economy is keeping people close to home and making them more interested in decorating and creating a cozy holiday.
"This will be more of a homey or homespun Christmas. More families are planning to stay home for Christmas," said Julie Stuhlmacher, co-owner of Winkies Variety store in Whitefish Bay.
She has seen a move toward traditional Christmas colors of red and green and away from Victorian colors such as mauve and fuchsia. .
Irene Blau, owner of Sinter Klausen Christmas Market in Germantown, has seen sales of decorating items begin much earlier this season, even before Halloween. She has also seen a move toward more traditional holiday items.
"Customers can buy traditional items or bring back the old favorites to make it more of a traditional holiday. Families can do that with things their children might have made or things that they've put aside and haven't used for years."
"Traditional Christmas tree ornaments are something that is very popular this year. The other trend is a special new ornament that speaks to the latest thing in their life or their favorite things," Blau said.
Live plants, fresh flowers and real trees are also popular items to decorate with, said Steve Roeske, retail manager at Nature's Nook Garden Center and Floral shops in Franklin and New Berlin.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore police report: Nov. 20, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: Nov. 13, 2014
- South Shore police report: Nov. 13, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: Nov. 6, 2014
- South Shore police report: Nov. 6, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: October 30, 2014
- South Shore police report: October 23, 2014
- Germantown village officials to consider fire department referendum tonight
- South Shore police report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: October 16, 2014