Today marks the end of 2009 - a year that was the most challenging in decades, and one that most are glad to see behind us.
There are plenty of media outlets taking a look back at the troubles this nation faced in 2009, but we've decided to take a different approach by focusing on the positives of the past year.
We asked readers to share with us their stories of hope, promise and resolve from an otherwise difficult year. In this week's newspaper, we are devoting most of our space to telling those stories.
In some cases, our reporters are profiling those individuals, but in other instances our readers are telling their own stories.
The stories and photos you see in this special issue are just a sample of the dozens of responses we received. You can see all of them - and some videos - online at MyCommunityNOW.com/Resolve.
Yes, 2009 was tough, but it's important to remember that there were some bright spots … it's just that they weren't easily found.
Thanks to our readers, we've found them for you. And we're proud to share those stories on the following pages.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore police report: October 23, 2014
- Germantown village officials to consider fire department referendum tonight
- South Shore police report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: October 16, 2014
- New antique shop could replace Twirly Birds in Wauwatosa Village
- South Shore Police Report: Oct. 16, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: October 9, 2014
- South Shore Police Report: Oct. 9, 2014 issue
- South Shore police report: October 2, 2014
- South Shore Police Report: Oct. 2, 2014 issue