The following are the top 10 most recently requested books at the Bay View Library.
• THE YIDDISH POLICEMEN'S UNION by Michael Chabon - HarperCollins Publishers, 2007
In this fascinating blend of noir crime thriller and alternative history, Chabon posits a homeland for Jewish refugees in Alaska established by Franklin Roosevelt on the eve of World War II, where his hard-boiled hero, Meyer Landsman, investigates a murder.
• THE LAST SUMMER (OF YOU AND ME) by Ann Brashares - Riverhead Books, 2007
After writing "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" series for teens, Brashares offers this love story set on Fire Island, where Alice and Paul, both home from college, act on the attraction they have had for each other for years.
• A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS by Khaled Hosseini - Riverhead Books, 2007
Hosseini, author of "The Kite Runner," chronicles more than two decades in the lives of two Afghan women, through whose eyes the reader witnesses the Soviet occupation, civil war and Taliban dictatorship in their country.
• BLAZE by Richard Bachman - Scribner, 2007
The story of Clayton "Blaze" Blaisdell Jr. is the last of the novels Stephen King wrote under the pen name Richard Bachman to be published. Blaze is mentally ill as a result of abuse at the hands of his father and attempts to carry out a kidnapping while communicating with his recently murdered partner.
• THE HARLEQUIN by Laurell K. Hamilton - Berkley, 2007
Anita Blake, vampire hunter, is embroiled in a turf war among vampire sects in St. Louis in this, her 15th adventure. Longtime foes and rivals form an alliance of convenience to deal with the threat of the Harlequin, a group of vampire enforcers.
• THE DIANA CHRONICLES by Tina Brown - Doubleday, 2007
Brown interviewed hundreds of people who knew the late Princess Diana, and uses their memories of her to create a portrait of the most popular member of Britain's royal family.
• THE ASSAULT ON REASON by Al Gore - Penguin Press, 2007
Gore switches from the global environment to the political arena in his latest book, looking at how the process of government has changed. This wide-ranging essay considers faith, celebrity culture, national media and the concentration of power in the executive branch and their effect on American democracy.
• OUTRAGE: HOW ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION, THE UNITED NATIONS, CONGRESSIONAL RIPOFFS, STUDENT LOAN OVERCHARGES, TOBACCO COMPANIES, TRADE PROTECTION, AND DRUG COMPANIES ARE RIPPING US OFF, AND WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT by Dick Morris and Eileen McGann - HarperCollins, 2007
The title just about says it all in this look at some of the worst effects of special interests, corporate greed and government corruption as written by longtime political consultant Morris.
• THE REAGAN DIARIES by Ronald Reagan - HarperCollins, 2007
These are the diaries Ronald Reagan kept from 1981 to 1989, while he was president. In addition to describing his life in office and elaborating on his political and diplomatic initiatives, Reagan also infused his writing with reflections on his family and friends.
• A WOMAN IN CHARGE: THE LIFE OF HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON by Carl Bernstein - Alfred A. Knopf/Random House, 2007
Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Bernstein chronicles the life and political career of the Democratic senator and presidential candidate, which is sometimes contradictory, but always dynamic and intriguing.
Check out these books and more at the Bay View Library, 2566 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore NOW claims a second in state newspaper contest (3)
- Teff Gymnasium forever (7)
- Historic Bay View tunnel could be used for wastewater storage (8)
- Geocaching is a free, easy activity in any community
- Longing for good biking all year round? It's here
- Flying high
- Man escapes drug sting after trip to hospital
- 30 students arrested after fight at Bay View Middle/High School (178)
- Special feature: Firefighters train to handle situations involving one of their own (5)
- Taking a big leap (8)