Lenier Johnson began the 2007 football season with a bang, but the Bay View football team found itself worn down by a bigger Green Bay Preble team Aug. 24, and the season opener went to the host Hornets, 34-12.
Johnson, a returning all-state running back, broke a 70-yard touchdown run on the second play of the game, and Darril Wynn later added a score from 75 yards away.
"Last year, we had that big run the first play of the game, and this year, it was the second play of the game, so we always start the year on a big run," Bay View coach Gary Griffin said. "But after that, they just pretty much ran us over.
"We're pretty small defensively, but offensively, we're top-notch. We put our athletes on defense, but our athletes aren't big, that's the problem."
Both Johnson (137 yards) and Wynn (112) had productive evenings on the ground. Montrell Davidson threw for 87 yards, rushed for 40 and had a 60-yard touchdown run called back due to a holding penalty.
The Redcats went into halftime trailing, 14-6, and it was not until two late scores that Preble pulled away.
"We scared the heck out of them," Griffin said. "He's never seen a team that fast, ever. On Darril's run, we were running to the left, and he got hit in the backfield, turned around and ran up the sideline and nobody was anywhere near him. Darril is Lenier plus four inches and 25 pounds. He's a different breed."
The Redcats will host Milwaukee Pius XI at 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 31, at South Stadium.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Milwaukee schools raise money for heart research
- Area high school students recognized in Junior Achievement challenge
- South Shore NOW claims a second in state newspaper contest (3)
- Teff Gymnasium forever (11)
- Historic Bay View tunnel could be used for wastewater storage (8)
- Geocaching is a free, easy activity in any community
- Longing for good biking all year round? It's here
- Flying high
- Man escapes drug sting after trip to hospital
- 30 students arrested after fight at Bay View Middle/High School (186)