Top 10 requested books at the Bay View Library this month include the following.
• THE BURNT HOUSE by Faye Kellerman - William Morrow/HarperCollins Publishers, 2007
When Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus return to look into the crash of a commuter airplane into a building near Los Angeles, their investigation turns into a murder case involving one of the flight attendants.
• SPOOK COUNTRY by William Gibson - G.P. Putnam's Sons, 2007
Gibson looks at a world transformed by the threat of terrorism and identity theft, both of which are hyped by a 24/7 media to the point that most people welcome a Big Brother-like presence by the government.
• LOVING FRANK by Nancy Horan - Ballantine Books, 2007
Set in the early 20th century, this historical novel looks at architect Frank Lloyd Wright's affair with Mamah Borthwick Cheney, focusing as much on her life as a scholar and feminist as on Wright's fame as an architect.
• FORCE OF NATURE by Suzanne Brockmann - Ballantine Books, 2007
Private Investigator Ric Alvarado crosses paths with unconventional FBI agent Jules Cassidy when one of his investigations leads him into the camp of Florida mobster Gordon Burns, whom Cassidy is trying to pin down for terrorist activity.
• THE MAYTREES by Annie Dillard - Harper Collins Publishers, 2007
Dillard's family story of love and loss in the Bohemian community of Provincetown, R.I., centers on the unconventional marriage of Toby and Lou Maytree, and is infused with a feeling for nature in her depiction of the lives of her characters.
• THE PREACHER AND THE PRESIDENTS: BILLY GRAHAM IN THE WHITE HOUSE by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy - Center Street, 2007
The authors recount Graham's unprecedented access to several presidents and how his spirituality buoyed them in times of crisis.
• IT'S ALL ABOUT HIM: FINDING THE LOVE OF MY LIFE by Denise Jackson and Ellen Vaughn - Thomas Nelson, 2007
The wife of country singer Alan Jackson tells the story of their relationship and the importance of faith in their marriage and lives in this inspiring autobiography.
• THE WORLD WITHOUT US by Alan Weisman - Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press, 2007
Weisman looks at what would happen if Earth's human population were wiped out overnight in this provocative description of our effect on the planet's ecology.
• MERLE'S DOOR: LESSONS FROM A FREETHINKING DOG by Ted Kerasote - Harcourt, 2007
The author chronicles his years with the Labrador mix dog Merle that he adopted as a stray, describing their relationship as something between friends, rather than as between master and pet.
• YOU CAN RUN BUT YOU CAN'T HIDE by Duane "Dog" Chapman - Hyperion, 2007
The star of television's "Dog the Bounty Hunter" tells the story of his early life, much of which was spent on the wrong side of the law, as well as sharing the details of some of his more famous bounty hunts.
Check out these books and more at the Bay View Library, 2566 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore police report: Aug. 27, 2015 issue
- South Shore police report: Aug. 20, 2015 issue
- South Shore police report: July 30, 2015 issue
- South Shore police report: July 16, 2015 issue
- Wisconsin Auctioneers Association - "Be the Change"
- North Shore school, municipal officials announce candidacy for April election
- Cudahy woman displayed Slovakian crafts at Holiday Folk Fair
- South Milwaukee schools raise money for heart research
- Area high school students recognized in Junior Achievement challenge
- South Shore NOW claims a second in state newspaper contest (3)