Lake Express Ferry And Milwaukee Bicycle Collective Partner In Earth Week Bicycle Drive
For the second consecutive year, the Lake Express ferry and Milwaukee Bicycle Collective will team-up during Earth Week to promote “green” travel by collecting gently-used bicycles for the inner-city youth of Milwaukee. In exchange for each donated bicycle, donors will receive a $50 gift certificate toward a trip on the Travel Green Certified Lake Express ferry. The two organizations are partnering to encourage environmentally-friendly travel while also supporting the needs of the community.
“Last year we collected 32 bikes that were given to kids without bikes in Milwaukee’s inner city, and we hope to increase that number this year. Lake Express is committed to offering Milwaukeeans fun, safe and convenient transportation options that respect and protect our environment,” said Ken Szallai, president of Lake Express. “Our partnership with the Milwaukee Bicycle Collective helps raise awareness of green travel while also supporting a worthy, environmentally conscientious organization that is committed to helping Milwaukee’s youth.”
The Milwaukee Bicycle Collective strives to provide an affordable resource for bicycle repair, and access to bicycle transportation that is otherwise not available for inner-city Milwaukee youth, while also encouraging environmentally-sustainable use and recycling of bicycle materials. The Collective also serves adults and is seeking donations of adult bicycles as well as those for kids.
“Last year’s collection was a great success and helped us introduce the joys of bike riding to kids who may not otherwise have the experience of owning a bike. We’re thrilled to be partnering with Lake Express again,” said Will Kort of Milwaukee Bicycle Collective.
Lake Express first received the Travel Green Certification from the Wisconsin Department of Tourism in 2008. Since then, the ferry has been recognized for innovative green practices such as pumping all waste aboard the vessel into an on-shore sewer system, removing more than 25,000 vehicles off the road annually, meeting or exceeding all Environmental Protection Agency air quality standards, and more.
To donate a bicycle to the Milwaukee Bike Collective in exchange for a free ticket for the Lake Express ferry, donors can bring their gently-used bicycles to the Lake Express Ferry terminal located at 2330 S. Lincoln Memorial Drive between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday, April 18th through Friday, April 22nd. Limit of one ticket per donor.
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar
- #YourStoryMKE Shares Personal Stories About Those Benefiting from Catholic Charities’ Programs
- Book Release Party at Cudahy Family Library
- Bay View Historical Society Annual Walk on August 6th
- St. Ann Center Gala Promises An Uplifting Experience
- Thank you from the Humboldt Park 4th of July Association
- It's South Shore Frolics Time!