A citizen’s committee has been formed to enable the School District of Cudahy to renovate the football field at Cudahy Memorial Field. The group started with members from the Cudahy Football Booster Club and the Cudahy Bulldogs Youth Football Organization. Additional members have participated from the Cudahy High School boys and girls soccer teams, the Cudahy Softball Booster Club and the Cudahy High School Band Boosters, alumni and the community.
The group formed to investigate how to renovate the existing field. This field has been hosting high school football games since 1932. The first game was attended by 6000 fans and featured a Cudahy vs. South Milwaukee football game. The field has been showing the wear and tear of 78 years of continuous use. The committee would like to return this field to the glory it deserves.
The committee’s research has determined that the best option for Cudahy will be to install an artificial turf that will support football, band, soccer and softball use. The artificial turf would allow the current use to continue and would allow the district to expand use of the facility to the soccer program. Greatly reduced wear concerns and reduced maintenance requirements for an artificial field would promote even more community use. Medical Studies have also shown that major injuries are decreased on modern artificial turf fields compared to natural grass fields.
The field will have markings installed for football, soccer and softball.
The project will be funded entirely by donations from the community. Tax money will not be used for the purchase and installation of the field. The committee’s research has shown that we will save maintenance money on the artificial field compared to a natural field. We have already started fundraising and are now at the point of hiring a landscape architect that specializes in sports facilities. The architect will be assisting the committee and the district with a plan and design for the field. Once the design is complete, fundraising for business and charitable organizations can begin. Several grant opportunities have been identified to help fund this project.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Cudahy Historical Society Outdoor Band Concert August 17
- Cool Jewelry and Ice Cream Social and Sale
- BBB Tips for Summer Fair Purchases
- First Day of School for St. Francis Public Schools
- Kelly Senior Center invites you to join their monthly Luncheon Outings
- Fun and Affordable Day Trips through Kelly Senior Center
- Animated Illusionist Ardan James to Perform
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market Plans Grand Reopening on July 31st - Shows off remodeled 11th Avenue Streetscape
- Bay View High School Holding 100th Anniversary
- Celtic Expands PR Group with the Addition of Two New Staffers