Hi Bay View! If you have not heard it yet..MPS Executives plan to replace Bay View Middle and High School Principal AGAIN! Numbers are up and good so why do they want a change? They won't say...read some comments below:
There was a School Governance Council meeting for BVMHS, and in attendance were Anita Pietrokowski, Dennis Queen, Terry Falk, Meagan Holman and the rest of the normal council. None of those mentioned are normally present and were only there to speak to the issue of Jesse Mazur. We were told only that the job for principal at the school was open, and the reasons that Jesse was being removed were not a matter of discussion for the public, nor even at the Council. The principal postition is determined by the superintendent ultimately, and is based on the information and recommendations of Dennis Queen, regional director and direct superior to Jesse, and Anita Pietrokowski, direct superior to Dennis Queen. Mr. Queen spoke not at all, and Ms. Pietrokowski simply stated that Jesse had been given all the support he needed and he did not succeed.
Reasons to support Jesse Mazur
1. There have been improvements in all the major data categories, a decreased suspension rate, an increased attendance rate, and improved academic scores in MAP testing. This despite being a new principal in 6-12 school that was recently merged with Fritsche, in a school with the highest special ed population in the district, with loss of security personnel and brand new assistant principals.
2. He has the support of the staff at the school. They like him, respect him, and they are asking for him to stay.
3. The man recommending his removal has a style of dealing with principals and teachers that is borders on fitting the description of bullying sent out by MPS. Staff, who will not be identified for concern of repercussions, have said they have heard him calling the principal and staff losers and telling them they are the worst school in the district, and this occurs within earshot of students. This does nothing to promote a healthy climate or an attitude of respect among the students for their teachers and principal. It is also not a good management style.
The community needs to be informed about how the school is run, who makes the decisions about staffing and about which students are enrolled. The superintendent, Anita Pietrokowski, and Dennis Queen will listen and work with us, but only if they hear us. And that takes communication in the form of letters, emails, phone calls, and, when the time is right, a rally to show that the community, filled with families, wants a viable neighborhood high school. We want a shift from the status quo of kids being bussed out of Bay View to Reagan or Rufus King or etc. and to a new reality where kids walk and bike to school in this neighborhood.
Please read letter below AND feel free to send your own letter to the Vliet Street address to Mr. Thornton.
Milwaukee Public Schools
5225 W Vliet Street
Milwaukee, WI 53208
Attn: Ms. Anita Pietrykowski
Dear Ms. Pietrykowski:
My name is Sonia Hass, Bay View graduate Class of 1977 and Alumni President. It has come to my attention that Bay View High is again looking for a principal. I hope you don’t mind but I am a very direct and to the point person. All I can say is “What is going on”!
When Ms. Kitzrow informed us of her retirement last year, the community, student body, staff and Alumni were mortified. Bay View suffered a HUGE LOSS! Later we come to find out that Mr. Queen practically made her life and the staff’s lives miserable which does impact our students and school! We were then introduced to our new principal of Bay View, Mr. Jesse Mazur. He comes with impeccable references and great accomplishments from previous schools he taught at. Our minds were at ease once again that our school was in good hands. Mr. Mazur came in with great enthusiasm and high hopes! He even purchased a house in Bay View not only to be close to work but because Bay View is such a great community.
How can ANY school move forward when the Principal is constantly undermined, needled and harassed by Mr. Queen? Yes, I said harassed! It is borderline harassment with the demands Mr. Queen is imposing on Mr. Mazur and Ms. Kitzrow when she was Principal. In my opinion Mr. Queen does not know what he is doing and does not know what is BEST for Bay View Middle and High school. Ultimately what happens in Bay View High affects our community but Mr. Queen would not know that because he does not live in Bay View.
There is no talking to this man….no matter what the Bay View Principal recommends Mr. Queen says “NO”! As I see it….it’s his way or the highway and that is NOT ACCEPTABLE! Dictatorship has ended a long time ago.
The Bay View Community is a very close knit neighborhood and our schools complete us. Bay View High School is respected by the community and is the ONLY school in Milwaukee with such an active Alumni Association. Graduates from the 1950’s to present still have deep roots with Bay View and want to continue this trend into the future but when the school’s Principal keeps getting replaced how can we? There obviously is a problem and it’s NOT with the school or the Principal….it is with the MPS Board and their micro managing, otherwise known as Mr. Queen.
How can Queen, or for that fact any School Board member dictate what is good for our school when they have NO CLUE what goes on from day to day! Each school is unique and the Principal should have the final say on what is best for their school by taking suggestions from the parents, students and the Governance Council. We are trying very hard to make Bay View Middle and High School a success and it does not happen in one year or two years. It will always be a work in progress. It is obvious that Mr. Queen does not know what Bay View needs to succeed. You can read all the books, documents and studies BUT those have no relevance to individual schools and no relevance to Bay View.
I ask that you remove the post for Principal at Bay View until we can get this matter resolved and keep Mr. Mazur as the Principal for Bay View. Changing Principals is not good for the students nor is it good for the staff and morale. The students need stability at home AND AT SCHOOL! Isn’t it all about the kids?
You can’t keep changing principals every year…you change principals like you change underwear! I can guarantee you that as long as you keep Mr. Queen on you will always be looking for a principal at Bay View.
I would like to meet with you and discuss this problem at our next Governance Council meeting. This needs to be addressed not privately but with the Council and I also advise that Mr. Queen be there also. I don’t want to hear excuses that your schedules are booked solid, this problem needs to be resolved and I won’t go away until it is addressed. This does not need to be done as a formal Board meeting…just you, Mr. Queen and Bay View Governance Council.
I speak for all of the Bay View Alumni, we love our school and support it and fight for it and we support Mr. Mazur 100%!
I look forward to hearing from you.
Class of 1977
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Cudahy Historical Society Outdoor Band Concert August 17
- Cool Jewelry and Ice Cream Social and Sale
- BBB Tips for Summer Fair Purchases
- First Day of School for St. Francis Public Schools
- Kelly Senior Center invites you to join their monthly Luncheon Outings
- Fun and Affordable Day Trips through Kelly Senior Center
- Animated Illusionist Ardan James to Perform
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market Plans Grand Reopening on July 31st - Shows off remodeled 11th Avenue Streetscape
- Bay View High School Holding 100th Anniversary
- Celtic Expands PR Group with the Addition of Two New Staffers