The U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary was here this week explaining the benefits of the National Health Care Reform Act to Seniors and while that may have been beneficial for them, it was not for me.
I’m 38-years-old and have Juvenile Rheumatoid Poly-articular Arthritis. I was diagnosed at the age 2 in 1975. In recent years, my insurance company has used this to move me into higher payment tiers for my prescriptions and increase my out-of-pocket expenses through higher costs. My medication that once cost $110 for a three month supply, now costs me nearly $1,000 for the same medication. I am forced to pay these higher costs and take these medications, or I risk permanent disability and irreversible joint damage.
I’m not the only one who has this problem,so while this may fall on deaf ears many friends of mine are living with the same dilemma. These circumstances not only put our financial obligations at risk but our health too.
Health care reform needs to include stopping health insurance companies from taking advantage of those who suffer with chronic life altering diseases. Every dime we earn goes towards our medical care, costs and the treatment thereof.
Last year alone, health insurers reported record profits as they continue to raise costs to their consumers.
In just a few weeks, I’ll be losing my home due to foreclosure which is just another fight to pay for the medical care and medications I need to prevent any furthur progression of my disease or worse more joint damage.
Perhaps the Secretary should have stopped by to see me.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- Christmas Rummage & Bake Sales at Depot on Saturday
- BBB's 8 Tips to Avoid Locksmith Scams
- Chanukah in the Chocolate Factory!
- Kick Off Chanukah at East Side Public Menorah Celebration
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Season of Giving Blood Drive
- HamBINGO Thursday December 11 to Benefit Second Hand Purrs
- CONUNDRUM WINE TASTING FIRST TIME BY BREEN
- Santa Visiting the Indoor Market this Saturday!
- Movie Matinee at St. Francis Library