South Milwaukee will DREAM BIG for Children’s Book Week. Three authors and an illustrator will inspire kids to read, write, and draw at en event May 9 at the South Milwaukee Public Library.
The “Dream Big” program will feature story times, drawing, student art, activities, selling and signing of books, prizes, and refreshments.
Kathryn Heling and Deborah Hembrook, co-authors of twelve books for children, will read “Ten Grouchy Groundhogs” (Cartwheel Books). In this alliterative, hilarious countdown book, ten groundhogs cannot wait for winter to end so they can get out of their den! Kathryn is a school psychologist and Deborah a kindergarten teacher, both in the School District of Waukesha.
South Milwaukee’s Janet Halfmann, the award-winning author of thirty-five children’s books, will read her new offering, “Home in the Cave” (Sylvan Dell Publishing). Baby Bat loves his cave home and is scared to leave it. But in exploring with Pluribus Packrat, he learns much about other cave critters and himself. Kids will light up the pitch-black cave with flashlights!
Milwaukeean Bonnie Leick, who has illustrated for “Highlights” magazine and several children’s publishers, will involve the kids in drawing creepy crawlers from her book, “Alien Invaders.” In the book, a curious child compares small garden creatures to what he knows of space invaders. Antennas? Shiny armor and helmets? The kids will have fun figuring out if these are earth dwelling creatures or something 'out of this world!'
Prior to the event, South Milwaukee students will create bookmarks to distribute and posters to be displayed based on the event’s theme.
The free public program is 6 to 7:30 pm Wednesday, May 9, at the South Milwaukee Public Library, 1907 10th Ave. For more infomation, call the library at 414-768-8195.
The program is presented by the South Milwaukee Public Library, South Milwaukee Public Schools, and the Wisconsin Chapter of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Carlos Meyers will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- WindSync "Simple Gifts: A Holiday Sampler"
- Shop Small on Small Business Saturday
- Local Author's Novel, Schrodinger's Dachshund, Set in Cudahy
- TOP 10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN BUYING A HOME
- Prasser-Kleczka is donating to Hunger Task Force but we need YOUR help!
- Freedom Gobel will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- Jamaica Gobel will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- Kemet Gobel will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- St. Mark's "Night of the Father's Love"