South Milwaukee will DREAM BIG for Children’s Book Week. Three authors and an illustrator will inspire kids to read, write, and draw at en event May 9 at the South Milwaukee Public Library.
The “Dream Big” program will feature story times, drawing, student art, activities, selling and signing of books, prizes, and refreshments.
Kathryn Heling and Deborah Hembrook, co-authors of twelve books for children, will read “Ten Grouchy Groundhogs” (Cartwheel Books). In this alliterative, hilarious countdown book, ten groundhogs cannot wait for winter to end so they can get out of their den! Kathryn is a school psychologist and Deborah a kindergarten teacher, both in the School District of Waukesha.
South Milwaukee’s Janet Halfmann, the award-winning author of thirty-five children’s books, will read her new offering, “Home in the Cave” (Sylvan Dell Publishing). Baby Bat loves his cave home and is scared to leave it. But in exploring with Pluribus Packrat, he learns much about other cave critters and himself. Kids will light up the pitch-black cave with flashlights!
Milwaukeean Bonnie Leick, who has illustrated for “Highlights” magazine and several children’s publishers, will involve the kids in drawing creepy crawlers from her book, “Alien Invaders.” In the book, a curious child compares small garden creatures to what he knows of space invaders. Antennas? Shiny armor and helmets? The kids will have fun figuring out if these are earth dwelling creatures or something 'out of this world!'
Prior to the event, South Milwaukee students will create bookmarks to distribute and posters to be displayed based on the event’s theme.
The free public program is 6 to 7:30 pm Wednesday, May 9, at the South Milwaukee Public Library, 1907 10th Ave. For more infomation, call the library at 414-768-8195.
The program is presented by the South Milwaukee Public Library, South Milwaukee Public Schools, and the Wisconsin Chapter of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Milwaukee native Jerome Kitzke performing at SMPAC Poetry in Music/Music in Poetry
- April 19: Meet Sundance Award-Winner & South Milwaukee Native Chad Gracia, Ukrainian Fedor Alexandrovich
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING® ART SHOWCASE
- End the Silence Panel Event
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA
- Wilson Senior Center Travel Outing - Peter and the Starcatcher at the Rep on May 13
- Alverno College to Host Screening of Vel Phillips Documentary
- BloodCenter to Host Milwaukee Bucks Blood Drive
- Bunny Party at the St. Francis Library