Local leaders prove that advocacy, visionary thinking don’t end at 60…and neither does marathon running
May 25, 2012 – Two local advocates who “get things done” for fellow seniors were recently honored for their leadership.
Bay View resident David Hoffman is a Hall of Famer—he’s a newly-inducted member of the Senior Citizen Hall of Fame. Milwaukee County Board Chairwoman Marina Dimitrijevic bestowed the award and was herself honored for eight years of service to the Commission on Aging.
Hoffman worked as executive director at Family Service of Milwaukee (now Aurora Family Service) before retiring from paid employment in 2000. He continues a busy schedule as an advocate, and his energetic life currently includes volunteer work with AARP Wisconsin, the Bay View Fox run organizing committee, the South Shore Connecting Caring Communities and the Wisconsin Senior Olympics.
Hoffman runs but should not be mistaken for a weekend warrior. He has dashed through marathons in every state and on each continent, raking in hundred of finishes. He says this year’s goal is 50 races (he’s laced up his shoes for 16 already).
The Commission on Aging today inducted four others: Mike Bogdonovich, Kathleen Brockman, Mary Ann Ganny and Audrey Hemmer.
Stephanie Sue Stein
The Sterling Awards Committee of Southeastern Wisconsin presented its Platinum Award to Stephanie Sue Stein, director of the Milwaukee County Department on Aging. She has served as director since 1993 and is known as “vivacious” and “articulate.”
The older people for whom she advocates may recognize her name as may former students and even government officials: She has testified before the United States Congress and in the Wisconsin Statehouse, and taught public policy at Marquette University and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
One of the highlights of her nearly 40 years of advocating for aging people is her work toward the startup of Family Care, Wisconsin’ long-term care program.
Stein lives in Bay View. She received the award May 24.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- SM Author's "Animal Teachers" Wins Wisconsin Award
- South Milwaukee native Jerome Kitzke performing at SMPAC Poetry in Music/Music in Poetry
- April 19: Meet Sundance Award-Winner & South Milwaukee Native Chad Gracia, Ukrainian Fedor Alexandrovich
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING® ART SHOWCASE
- End the Silence Panel Event
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA
- Wilson Senior Center Travel Outing - Peter and the Starcatcher at the Rep on May 13
- Alverno College to Host Screening of Vel Phillips Documentary
- BloodCenter to Host Milwaukee Bucks Blood Drive