Artists, Art and Empowering: School Sisters of St. Francis and Alverno College Faculty, an exhibition celebrating Alverno College’s 125th anniversary, will open at the Alfons Gallery this weekend. The show runs June 24th – September 23rd with an opening reception Sunday from 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
With this exhibition, Alfons Gallery brings together artwork by the Alverno College Art Department’s current faculty and School Sisters of St. Francis’ former faculty. Together, the work of 20 Alverno and School Sisters artists will display their passion for art through their unique viewpoints, each reflecting the eras in which they worked. The School Sisters’ artwork reaches back to the 1920’s, yet they connect with Alverno’s contemporary artists in individually expressive ways.
Historical context will be provided for the artwork. The exhibition will describe how Alverno was created, and the vision and role teachers have played there and elsewhere in the community, including in elementary, middle and high schools. Ultimately, it will demonstrate how art reaches out, speaks to, and reflects its culture.
Alfons Gallery’s mission continues to reflect School Sisters of St. Francis’ work to support art, culture, peace and justice worldwide which is also reflected in Alverno’s abilities-based curriculum. Those abilities, taught concurrently with course content, include Developing a Global Perspective, Effective Citizenship, Communication, Analysis, Problem Solving, Valuing in Decision Making, Social Interaction and Aesthetic Engagement.
The Alfons Gallery is located on the second floor of the St. Joseph Center, 1501 South Layton Blvd. in Milwaukee.
- World Wide Knit in Public Day Celebration at Cudahy Family Library
- Art Show at Cudahy Depot
- OAKVIEW BUSINESS PARK LOOKS TO CAPITALIZE ON ROBUST OAK CREEK DEVELOPMENT MARKET
- Huge Bicycle Auction
- Spring Festival at Polonia Sport Club
- A Disappearing Continues!
- Eat at Transfer Pizzeria May 9-23 to benefit Second Hand Purrs
- Holly and Joey Baird of the Wisconsin Vegetable Gardener at the Cudahy Family Library in June
- Meet a Red, White, and Blue Jew in Milwaukee!
- Vendor Fair and Bake Sale Sunday May 22