Artists, Art and Empowering: School Sisters of St. Francis and Alverno College Faculty, an exhibition celebrating Alverno College’s 125th anniversary, will open at the Alfons Gallery this weekend. The show runs June 24th – September 23rd with an opening reception Sunday from 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
With this exhibition, Alfons Gallery brings together artwork by the Alverno College Art Department’s current faculty and School Sisters of St. Francis’ former faculty. Together, the work of 20 Alverno and School Sisters artists will display their passion for art through their unique viewpoints, each reflecting the eras in which they worked. The School Sisters’ artwork reaches back to the 1920’s, yet they connect with Alverno’s contemporary artists in individually expressive ways.
Historical context will be provided for the artwork. The exhibition will describe how Alverno was created, and the vision and role teachers have played there and elsewhere in the community, including in elementary, middle and high schools. Ultimately, it will demonstrate how art reaches out, speaks to, and reflects its culture.
Alfons Gallery’s mission continues to reflect School Sisters of St. Francis’ work to support art, culture, peace and justice worldwide which is also reflected in Alverno’s abilities-based curriculum. Those abilities, taught concurrently with course content, include Developing a Global Perspective, Effective Citizenship, Communication, Analysis, Problem Solving, Valuing in Decision Making, Social Interaction and Aesthetic Engagement.
The Alfons Gallery is located on the second floor of the St. Joseph Center, 1501 South Layton Blvd. in Milwaukee.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bartelt Wins Two MBA Achievement Awards
- Babe's Ice Cream Turns 10 Years Old
- HamBINGO Thursday October 8 to Benefit Second Hand Purrs
- Watch for New Technology at the Cash Register
- Milwaukee Public Library, Bay View Branch to Host Wisconsin Water Photo Display
- Herbert Lowe featured speaker at UW-Parkside
- Important Donation Made To Dog Organization
- United Performing Arts Fund to Allocate a Record $9.175 Million to Performing Arts Groups
- See the World Up Close Without Leaving Home - Host with YFU USA!
- Brian Hanson Joins Bartelt as Production Administrator