On September 12, Howard Village senior community hosted a Blessing of the Hands ceremony in which the hands of caregivers were anointed. "The service provides a way of showing appreciation for the difference that caregivers make and their contributions to the lives of older adults," explained Jodi Smith, Lifestyle Coordinator at Howard Village.
With the aging population, research estimates that 23% of U.S. households have at least one person who is providing care in some way for an older adult. All caregivers from the community, volunteers and family members from Howard Village were invited to participate in the event.
Jim Paszkiewicz, Director of Adult Spirituality from Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish, led the program and several residents did the actual blessing of the caregivers' hands. The St. Thomas More Choir performed at the service and some of the students had their hands blessed too. A number of community volunteers participated as well. "It was a very touching service. We are proud to do this yearly as a thank you to all our many caregivers," commented Smith.
Howard Village is a Laureate Group community and offers independent and assisted living apartments. For more information, visit www.laureategroup.com
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Spring Salad Luncheom
- Free Movie and Game Day at St. Francis Library
- State Budget Information Session, Monday, April 20
- South Shore Youth Rugby Club
- Afternoon Tea Delight at Cudahy Family Library
- Last Market & Rummage Sale at St. Ann Center
- Seniors Trip to Brewers-Dodgers Game
- Over 100 Performers! A Night You Won't Want to Miss! May 1 GALA EXTRAVAGANZA
- Beth Stoddard: Landscapes and Still Lifes Art Exhibition of Oil Paintings at the Greenfield Public Libarary, April 2015
- Spring Artwalk