Milwaukee – A coalition of businesses, artists, musicians and local organizations will join Sunday for a community benefit for the three children of a Milwaukee woman murdered July 14 in a domestic violence incident.
The CREATE Awareness event will raise money for the children of Maggie Litwicki, who was stabbed to death, allegedly by her boyfriend. The benefit will be held from 3 to 10 p.m. at Café Centraal, 2306 S. Kinnickinnic Ave., Bay View.
More than 65 volunteers, businesses and organizations will combine talents, energy and generosity at the CREATE Awareness Event, which will also shine a spotlight on the problem of domestic violence. Teri Jendusa-Nicolai, who gained national attention after nearly dying from a brutal attack in 2004 by her ex-husband, will speak at 7 p.m.
Litwicki’s three children, one of whom is autistic, are being raised by their grandparents. All proceeds from donations, auctions and artist performances will benefit the children.
Artists will be creating paintings during the event to be sold at a live auction. Gift certificates from local and national businesses, artwork and other items will be available in a silent auction.
Community agencies that deal with domestic violence will be present to help attendees recognize the signs and sometimes hidden dangers of this societal problem. Milwaukee native Alex Wilson, whose band has played to worldwide acclaim, headlines live music that begins at 5 p.m.
“We invite the community to the CREATE Awareness Event to join their neighbors in taking a stand against domestic violence,” said Neda Stevic, the event’s lead organizer. “Our goal is not only to raise money to help three children who are also victims of Maggie Litwicki’s senseless death, but to help people recognize the red flags that might prevent someone they love from becoming the next domestic violence statistic.”
Donations of both money and silent auction items for the CREATE Awareness Event are welcomed. Interested donors can contact Stevic at (414) 759-5877 or email@example.com. More information is available at /http://www.facebook.com/events/462567237121456/.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Cool Jewelry and Ice Cream Social and Sale
- BBB Tips for Summer Fair Purchases
- First Day of School for St. Francis Public Schools
- Kelly Senior Center invites you to join their monthly Luncheon Outings
- Fun and Affordable Day Trips through Kelly Senior Center
- Animated Illusionist Ardan James to Perform
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market Plans Grand Reopening on July 31st - Shows off remodeled 11th Avenue Streetscape
- Bay View High School Holding 100th Anniversary
- Brain Injury Resource Center of Wisconsin, Inc.’s new informational commercial
- Post-Summer Polar Vortex, Return to the Beach and Check a Website for Conditions