SOUTH MILWAUKEE – The South Milwaukee Downtown Market is celebrating families as it brings its fourth season to an end.
The market’s Fall Family Festival returns on Thursday, Oct. 11, at the South Milwaukee farmers’ market, located at 11th and Milwaukee Avenues. Hours are 3 to 7 p.m.
Besides the usual lineup of market vendors, the event will feature free children’s activities like pumpkin carving, apple bobbing, face painting and vendor trick-or-treating. Student volunteers from St. Thomas More High School will help run the event.
“This is a great way to finish off another successful season,” said Jim Shelenske, South Milwaukee’s city clerk and market co-founder. “We are always trying to bring special events to the farmers’ market, and this is another example of that. We’re a family-friendly market, and we’re proud to offer family fun at activities like this.”
The Fall Festival brings the fourth season of the Downtown Market to a close after another season of growth. During the height of the summer, more than 60 vendors regularly set up at the event selling produce, organics, baked goods, prepared food, arts and crafts. The market also features weekly live music, including three concerts presented by the South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center. Family-friendly outdoor movies also returned following three markets in August, and the market brought back its Health Fair, presented by South Shore Family Chiropractic, in September.
“We’ve worked hard to establish ourselves as one of the region’s top farmers’ markets, and we think we’re there,” said South Milwaukee Alderman Erik Brooks, co-founder of the market. “Of course, we always have plans to get bigger and better, but we’ve come a long way since we launched in 2009. The future is bright.”
Vendors Sought for Dec. 8 Christmas Market
The South Milwaukee Downtown Market is bringing back its Christmas Market at a new location: South Milwaukee High School. The event runs from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 8. Vendors interested in participating can access an application at the market website: www.smmarket.org. Cost is $30 per booth. Stay tuned for more details.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- STM Student Wins Prestigious Gates Scholarship
- Better Business Bureau Urges Donor Caution After Tornadoes
- Ted Lang Speed and Agility Camp at Cudahy High School (June 17th-21st)
- Cudahy High School Football to Offer Free Football Camps This Summer
- Cudahy High School Football Golf Outing-August 17th at Grant Park
- Children’s Medical Grants Now Available in Wisconsin from the UnitedHealthcare Children’s Foundation
- First Weber Welcomes Experienced Agent....
- Grant Park Warbler Walks welcomes newbies
- South Milwaukee Market Opens Summer Season May 23
- GRAEF RECOGNIZED BY AMERICAN COUNCIL OF ENGINEERING COMPANIES