Tap the Potential events celebrate creative talents of performers and artists with disabilities
Visitors passing through Milwaukee until October 18 have an opportunity to view a very special art exhibit at Mitchell International Airport--one of the highlights of Milwaukee County’s observation of Disabilities Awareness Month. The public is invited to attend a Tap the Potential reception from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm on Thursday, October 18 featuring the VSA Singers, Easter Seals Color Guard, guest speakers Cammy Draheim and Barbara Leigh, and additional performances. The art exhibit incorporates works from “Creative Power”, VSA Wisconsin’s traveling statewide art exhibit.
Milwaukee Public Theatre, along with the Milwaukee County Office of Persons with Disabilities, VSA Wisconsin , Goodwill of SE Wisconsin, Life Navigators, Independence First, Milwaukee Center for Independence, Curative Rehabilitation Center and the Grand Avenue Club are coordinating the free public art events called Tap the Potential.
A number of music, poetry, theatre and other art exhibits are also scheduled. Details may be found at www.milwaukeepublictheatre.org/TapPotential, or call 414-347-1685.
Monday, October 15, time tba
Flash Mob with Gaenslen School
Clas Park (outside Milwaukee County Courthouse)
Monday, October 15
Humor and Healing: The Art of Healing from a Patient’s Point of View
Excerpts from Barbara Leigh/Milwaukee Public Theatre at Marquette University
Wednesday, October 17, 10:30 am
Pieces: In My Own Voice, Prince of Peace School
Thursday, October 18, 11:30 am
Tap the Potential Artist Reception
Mitchell International Airport
Speakers, awards, refreshments, performers
Friday, October 19
Independence First, 540 S. First Street
Bold/Visual 2012. The Strong Hearts Step Team will perform at 7 pm on Gallery Night.
Friday, October 19, 6 pm
Gallery Night, Mud River Lee, The Grand Avenue Club, 604 N. Water St.
Tuesday, October 23, 8:00 and 10:00 am
Pieces: In My Own Voice, Brown Deer High School
Wednesday, October 24
Children of the Sun/Jahmes Finlayson drum troupe, MSOE Wheelchair Days basketball game
Wednesday, October 24
Cammy Draheim, Watercolor Therapy to Music
Milwaukee Secure Detention Facility
(not open to the public)
Friday, October 26, 6 pm
Reincarnation: Visual art, poetry and prose by Nadia Smale
Orcanine Abbey, 1718 N. First Street, Studio 5N2
Sunday, October 28, 9:15 am
Mud River Lee
Unitarian Church North
Wednesday, Oct. 31, 11:30 am
William Sweeney, piano
Wilson Park Senior Center
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- SM Author's "Animal Teachers" Wins Wisconsin Award
- South Milwaukee native Jerome Kitzke performing at SMPAC Poetry in Music/Music in Poetry
- April 19: Meet Sundance Award-Winner & South Milwaukee Native Chad Gracia, Ukrainian Fedor Alexandrovich
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING® ART SHOWCASE
- End the Silence Panel Event
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA
- Wilson Senior Center Travel Outing - Peter and the Starcatcher at the Rep on May 13
- Alverno College to Host Screening of Vel Phillips Documentary
- BloodCenter to Host Milwaukee Bucks Blood Drive