Milwaukee, Wis., October 16, 2012- Senior Living Community Eastcastle Place will continue a cherished Milwaukee tradition with a new twist as it celebrates its 115th annual Fall Bazaar on Saturday, November 3 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
First held in 1897, the Fall Bazaar at Eastcastle Place has traditionally sold crafts and artwork created by the community’s residents. For the first time, this year’s event will now also display the work of 15 contemporary artists and vendors alongside that of the community’s residents.
Artists and vendors displaying at the Fall Bazaar include:
• Liz Hayes - Third Ward Jewelry - Fine pieces from their exclusive Third Ward gallery that has showcased beautiful jewelry for more than 25 years.
• Betsy Roberts - Handmade ornaments and gifts, including many by Milwaukee fair trade company Pilgrim Imports
• Catherine Lauby - Unique handmade journals with a variety of papers and stitching
• Olivia Satterlee - Olcobi’s naturally made soaps, lotions, balms, oils and lens cleaner
• Shirley Pohlkamp - Homemade candles in a variety of scents
• Lois Gredell - Replicates home photos on 10x10 canvas with acrylic paints
• David Massey - Handmade animal sculptures from wood and paints
• Jim Stratte - Boxelder, Inc. - Neckties, portrait pillowcases, puzzles and other items that incorporate famous artists’ work. Laura Stratte’s adorable children onesies.
• Connie Johnson - Fleece wraps that are available in more than 35 colors and prints, hand crafted jackets, and doll clothes
• Val Poston Handy – Wooden and beaded jewelry in African styles & forms
• Lynn Himmelman - Handmade jewelry featuring semi-precious gemstones, silver, Swarovski crystals and other materials
• Burke Candy - Assortment of toffee, turtles, sea salt caramels and more
• Purman’s Island Orchard Cider – Specially crafted apple cider wine from Washington Island orchards
• Ruth Mode - Handcrafted woodcuts and watercolor work
• Lise Meissner - Colorful jewelry, origami cranes, stained glass, quilting and more
• Margery Krueger of Jasper the Cat - Distinctive handmade Jasper jewelry
• Sue Madden of Bedazzled Cutlery - Designed cutlery that uses beads, wires and stained glass pieces
The community will continue to feature its famous cherry dill pickles and traditional Victorian style “Silver Tea” service, which includes genuine antique silver tea sets. A variety of delicious homemade baked goods made by the residents will also be available for guests to purchase
To conclude the afternoon, Eastcastle Place will hold a raffle with available prizes including restaurant gift certificates, theater and concert tickets, neighborhood gift baskets and Packers and Brewers apparel. All proceeds from sales will go towards expanding the arts and crafts programs for the residents in the memory support area as well as enhancing the community’s creative arts programs.
“The Fall Bazaar is a beloved part of Milwaukee’s history that residents and community neighbors look forward to every year,” said Doris Cummins, Eastcastle Place resident and member of the Bazaar Planning Committee. “This year is especially exciting as we are featuring outside vendors and artists for the first time that will bring a more contemporary feel to the event, while also incorporating the community’s longstanding holiday traditions.”
The Fall Bazaar at Eastcastle Place is located at 2505 E. Bradford Avenue in Milwaukee. For more information, contact Laura Wengler at 414-963-8408.
About Eastcastle Place
Founded as Milwaukee Protestant Home in 1884 by a group of public-spirited women, Eastcastle Place has earned an exemplary reputation by providing compassionate care to seniors throughout the metropolitan Milwaukee area. Along with Newcastle Place, its sister community in Mequon, Wis., Eastcastle Place is a continuing care retirement community that offers elegant and upscale independent living apartments and vast amenities. This vibrant senior community also offers assisted living, memory support, rehabilitation, and skilled nursing. For more information, visit www.Eastcastleplace.com or call 414.963.6151.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Carlos Meyers will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- WindSync "Simple Gifts: A Holiday Sampler"
- Shop Small on Small Business Saturday
- Local Author's Novel, Schrodinger's Dachshund, Set in Cudahy
- TOP 10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN BUYING A HOME
- Prasser-Kleczka is donating to Hunger Task Force but we need YOUR help!
- Freedom Gobel will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- Jamaica Gobel will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- Kemet Gobel will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- St. Mark's "Night of the Father's Love"