As with anything, when it comes to kids swimming lessons, there are myths that circulate right alongside it. Some are simply outdated research, and some are just items that may have been easily overlooked.
Unearthing the truth behind the swimming lesson myths:
A) Children shouldn't receive swimming lessons until they reach the age of four-False. There are thousands, if not millions, of toddlers and infants who have successfully learned how to swim. Evidence shows that there are numerous benefits when parents allow kids to have swimming lessons at a much younger age. Babies can comfortably start entering the water & begin to learn basic skills when they are only 6 months old. It's actually the perfect time to transition them & develop a comfort for the water.
B) Your child can become drowning proof once he/she learns how to swim-False. Not even an adult swimmer can become "drown proof" even after very many years of experience. Hundreds of drowning cases are reported everyday as someone somewhere makes an error of judgment when swimming or falls into a circumstance far out of their control. By giving your children swimming lessons, you provide them with skills that significantly reduce this. In fact, lessons have been proved to reduce the risk by up to 88%. However, nothing can ever make someone "drown proof", constant supervision is always of the utmost importance.
C) "Just give him/her few summers and he'll catch on"-False. Swimming lessons aren't designed just for summer. Water parks and indoor pools make swimming an all-year round activity which allows options for birthday parties, recreation, field trips and much more. The idea that your child will pick up the swimming lessons where they left off isn't realistic. After all, practice makes perfect. They need to be guided regularly to truly perfect their swim skills & continue to progress.
Franklin Swimtastic 414-421-7946 or visit us at www.swimtastic.com
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Carlos Meyers will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- WindSync "Simple Gifts: A Holiday Sampler"
- Shop Small on Small Business Saturday
- Local Author's Novel, Schrodinger's Dachshund, Set in Cudahy
- TOP 10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN BUYING A HOME
- Prasser-Kleczka is donating to Hunger Task Force but we need YOUR help!
- Freedom Gobel will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- Jamaica Gobel will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- Kemet Gobel will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- St. Mark's "Night of the Father's Love"