As with anything, when it comes to kids swimming lessons, there are myths that circulate right alongside it. Some are simply outdated research, and some are just items that may have been easily overlooked.
Unearthing the truth behind the swimming lesson myths:
A) Children shouldn't receive swimming lessons until they reach the age of four-False. There are thousands, if not millions, of toddlers and infants who have successfully learned how to swim. Evidence shows that there are numerous benefits when parents allow kids to have swimming lessons at a much younger age. Babies can comfortably start entering the water & begin to learn basic skills when they are only 6 months old. It's actually the perfect time to transition them & develop a comfort for the water.
B) Your child can become drowning proof once he/she learns how to swim-False. Not even an adult swimmer can become "drown proof" even after very many years of experience. Hundreds of drowning cases are reported everyday as someone somewhere makes an error of judgment when swimming or falls into a circumstance far out of their control. By giving your children swimming lessons, you provide them with skills that significantly reduce this. In fact, lessons have been proved to reduce the risk by up to 88%. However, nothing can ever make someone "drown proof", constant supervision is always of the utmost importance.
C) "Just give him/her few summers and he'll catch on"-False. Swimming lessons aren't designed just for summer. Water parks and indoor pools make swimming an all-year round activity which allows options for birthday parties, recreation, field trips and much more. The idea that your child will pick up the swimming lessons where they left off isn't realistic. After all, practice makes perfect. They need to be guided regularly to truly perfect their swim skills & continue to progress.
Franklin Swimtastic 414-421-7946 or visit us at www.swimtastic.com
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bunny Plans Special Stop at Pulaski Pavilion
- BBB Warns Service Members of common scams during Military Saves Week
- Parkside Theatre Presents "A Midsummer Night's Dream"
- Franklin Artist Wins "Best of Show" at 2015 League of Milwaukee Artists' Spring Show
- Band Together Concert Fundraiser to feature UW-Madison Marching Band
- #1 Show Cats in the World live right here in Milwaukee
- Holocaust Remembrance Service
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Outpost Coop
- Essay Winners from the Daughters of the American Revolution - Milwaukee Chapter
- Inspired by Love of Their Country, Local Contractor Gifts Veteran Family New Furnace to Help Them through Harsh Winter