Milwaukee Chamber Orchestra and Bel Canto Chorus present a tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
The Milwaukee Chamber Orchestra and Bel Canto Chorus are pleased to announce the second annual free commemorative tribute concert to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., on Sunday, Jan. 20 at 5 p.m. at Holy Redeemer Institutional Church of God in Christ.
“This second annual tribute concert to the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., at once celebrates the man and his achievements, while providing an artistic forum for building understanding and connection between Milwaukee’s diverse communities,” said Richard Hynson, Music Director of both the MCO and Bel Canto Chorus. “By commemorating this great man we acknowledge a history that is still painful, while embracing his ideals for peaceful reconciliation, not only here in America, but throughout the world.”
The program will include historic words from a letter to Gene Patterson by Dr. King, Robert Kennedy’s Speech Announcing King’s Assassination, and Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech..
In addition to the concert, the David Barnett Gallery will be exhibiting Inspiration II by Reginald K. Gee before and after the concert. The piece which was exhibited at the Smithsonian Museum in 1999 as part of the a collection honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.., along with a giclée print and small collection of his religious-themed artwork will be on display. Gee, of both African and Native American descent, explores the theme of inspiration using Dr. King’s own words.
Holy Redeemer Institutional Church of God in Christ is at 3500 West Mother Daniels Way,
Milwaukee, WI 53209
Admission is free. Free tickets may be reserved at www.belcanto.org. (Reserved tickets are recommended, but not required.)
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar
- #YourStoryMKE Shares Personal Stories About Those Benefiting from Catholic Charities’ Programs
- Book Release Party at Cudahy Family Library
- Bay View Historical Society Annual Walk on August 6th
- St. Ann Center Gala Promises An Uplifting Experience
- Thank you from the Humboldt Park 4th of July Association
- August Summer Art Camps at Cattywampus