The sounds of Central Asia are coming to Richard School, 5812 N. Santa Monica Blvd.March 22 at 7 p.m. with the Alash Ensemble of Tuva. The concert in the Great Hall is free, but donations are welcome.
Alash, based in the Republic of Tuva in Central Asia, has won numerous international awards in Tuvan throat singing, a technique which allows vocalists to sing multiple pitches at one time. Ensemble members also play a variety of Tuvan traditional instruments, contributing to an overall musical experience that a Washington Post review described as “absolutely stunning.”
The group performed at Richards last year, and has a hometown connection. Sean Quirk, the group’s manager translator now lives in Tuva, but grew up down the street from Richards.
The group’s current tour started in Boston during the February blizzard, made a stop at Carnegie Hall in New York and will be in in Milwaukee as part of the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra’s Arts in the Classroom program.
The Richards concert is designed for children and families and will include short discussions of Tuva’s culture along with the music.
More information on Tuva and Alash is available at www.alashensemble.com.
Contact for Alash is Sean Quirk, at firstname.lastname@example.org, 414-520-3169.
Here’s a blog/review of last year’s concert.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Celebrate Independence Day at Humboldt Park
- Fun, food and fireworks, it's South Shore Frolic time!
- DYPC Junior & Senior Company Auditions
- ATI Physical Therapy Offers Complimentary Screenings at All Locations
- Music for every Palate – South Milwaukee Market announces July music line up
- Back to School Event for Foster Children Urges Public to Volunteer
- Real Time - First Friday Performance Series at Danceworks
- Catey Ott Dance Collective: 3rd (i) EYE Conscious
- The UMDF Energy for Life Walk is September 26th!
- Memoir about Oak Creek