“Dig into Reading” with local authors Sheila Griffin Llanas and Janet Halfmann to celebrate Children’s Book Week. The free event for children and their caregivers is Wednesday, 6-7:30 pm, at the South Milwaukee Library, 1907 10th Ave.
Llanas, the author of 30 educational books for children, will present “One Author’s Journey around the World.” Without ever leaving town, Llanas travelled to the South Pole. She learned to cook in Indonesia and Brazil. She met Hollywood stars Daniel Radcliffe, Zac Efron, and Taylor Lautner. She trained in the Army and the Navy. She observed wolves and eagles in the wild. How? Through books! She will share her travel experiences as an educational author, from being offered the assignment, conducting the research, and finding the published book in the mail.
Halfmann, the award-winning author of 35 children’s books, will present interactive story times for her two newest books, “Home in the Cave” and “Eggs 1, 2, 3: Who Will the Babies Be?” For Eggs 1, 2, 3, the kids will guess what baby will hatch based on the clues. For Home in the Cave, the kids will light up the "cave" with flashlights so Baby Bat and Pluribus Packrat can explore. Halfmann also will answer questions from the audience.
The event also will include student art, activities, lots of prizes, refreshments, and book selling and signing. The program is a collaboration between the library, South Milwaukee Public Schools, and the Wisconsin chapter of the Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators (SCBWI).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bunny Plans Special Stop at Pulaski Pavilion
- BBB Warns Service Members of common scams during Military Saves Week
- Parkside Theatre Presents "A Midsummer Night's Dream"
- Franklin Artist Wins "Best of Show" at 2015 League of Milwaukee Artists' Spring Show
- Band Together Concert Fundraiser to feature UW-Madison Marching Band
- #1 Show Cats in the World live right here in Milwaukee
- Holocaust Remembrance Service
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Outpost Coop
- Essay Winners from the Daughters of the American Revolution - Milwaukee Chapter
- Inspired by Love of Their Country, Local Contractor Gifts Veteran Family New Furnace to Help Them through Harsh Winter