“Dig into Reading” with local authors Sheila Griffin Llanas and Janet Halfmann to celebrate Children’s Book Week. The free event for children and their caregivers is Wednesday, 6-7:30 pm, at the South Milwaukee Library, 1907 10th Ave.
Llanas, the author of 30 educational books for children, will present “One Author’s Journey around the World.” Without ever leaving town, Llanas travelled to the South Pole. She learned to cook in Indonesia and Brazil. She met Hollywood stars Daniel Radcliffe, Zac Efron, and Taylor Lautner. She trained in the Army and the Navy. She observed wolves and eagles in the wild. How? Through books! She will share her travel experiences as an educational author, from being offered the assignment, conducting the research, and finding the published book in the mail.
Halfmann, the award-winning author of 35 children’s books, will present interactive story times for her two newest books, “Home in the Cave” and “Eggs 1, 2, 3: Who Will the Babies Be?” For Eggs 1, 2, 3, the kids will guess what baby will hatch based on the clues. For Home in the Cave, the kids will light up the "cave" with flashlights so Baby Bat and Pluribus Packrat can explore. Halfmann also will answer questions from the audience.
The event also will include student art, activities, lots of prizes, refreshments, and book selling and signing. The program is a collaboration between the library, South Milwaukee Public Schools, and the Wisconsin chapter of the Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators (SCBWI).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- HamBINGO Thursday June 4 to Benefit Second Hand Purrs
- Seeking Adult Day Services Program Volunteers at Lutheran Home
- Cudahy Farmers Market Grand Opening June 3!
- SM Author Jerrianne Hayslett’s Short Story Wins First-Place Prize
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- St. Mark's Project Concern Benefit Musical Extravaganza
- WAMI Award Winner Singer/Songwriter Nora Collins Announces Support for 2015 MECA Vest a K-9 Fest
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- North Shore Suzuki Strings celebrates 25th anniversary
- Oak Creek Resident Finishing Term of Service with Milwaukee Nonprofit