SOUTH MILWAUKEE – The South Milwaukee Downtown Market reaches a milestone in 2013, as the farmers’ market returns for its fifth season starting May 23.
“It’s hard to believe it’s been five seasons,” Downtown Market Chairman David Kieck said. “We’ve come so far since 2009, and we’re really excited about our future. The 2013 season promises to be our best one yet.”
The market runs from 3 to 7 p.m. every Thursday at 11th and Milwaukee Avenues in South Milwaukee’s city center. It features dozens of vendors selling produce, organics, arts, crafts, baked goods and more. There is also a variety of prepared foods available for eating on-site at the market’s seating area.
Weekly live music is planned on the market stage, including several special concerts presented by the South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center, with details to be released soon. Among the other events scheduled are the return of the market Health Fair on Sept. 5 and the Fall Family Festival to end the season.
South Milwaukee’s Emerald City Catering is also planning a special on-stage barbecue grilling show on Thursday, June 13.
“It’s great to be back, and we’re really excited about what we have to offer for 2013,” said market co-founder and South Milwaukee Alderman Erik Brooks. “Whether it’s new vendors or special events, we’re offering plenty of reasons for our existing fans to come back – and for new customers to give us a try.”
The market runs every Thursday for 20 weeks, through Oct. 10. There is no market on July 4 due to the holiday.
The market has space available for vendors who make, bake or grow their own produce or merchandise. Applications are available on the market website. Cost is $300 per stall for the entire season, or $25 per week.
“We have an outstanding lineup of local vendors, and we’re proud to have many of our longtime merchants returning in 2013,” said market co-founder and South Milwaukee City Clerk Jim Shelenske. “But we’re always trying to deliver new experiences for our customers. We want to provide something for everyone at the market, and we do.”
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- 15th Stu's Flooring Benefit Golf Outing Tees Off
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar
- #YourStoryMKE Shares Personal Stories About Those Benefiting from Catholic Charities’ Programs
- Book Release Party at Cudahy Family Library
- Bay View Historical Society Annual Walk on August 6th
- St. Ann Center Gala Promises An Uplifting Experience