On Tuesday, May 14th, 2013, the girls of the Saint Thomas More track & field team accomplished something they never have before.
They won a Conference championship.
STM has had a girls’ track & field team since 1990 and has had some remarkable athletes come through the program, even some individual event Conference champions, but never has the team accomplished this feat.
The ladies scored 150 points, 22 more than the second-place team, Kenosha St. Joseph Academy. Individual event Conference championships were earned by junior Maria Missurelli in the pole vault, senior Delaney Verba in the discus, and junior Heidi Golembiewski in the shot put. On a team with only 20 athletes, nearly every girl on the team competed in multiple events. Leading the way were seniors Verba, Alicia Kennedy, Katie Gebhard, and Korina Hendricks. They combined for 44 of the team’s 150 points. Hendricks, who recently broke the school record in the 800m Run, with a time of 2:26.00, placed second in all three distance races: the 800m, 1600m, and 3200m Runs. Kennedy earned bronze medals in pole vault and triple jump.
Missurelli also added a silver medal in the 100m High Hurdles, and junior Carolyn Sikora took home the bronze in the 400m Dash. Sikora, along with sophomores Katie Young and Lexi Starosta and freshman Reanna Wicker, earned bronze in the 4x400m Relay. Junior Alix Koenig also took on the task of running all three distance races, and earned the team 14 points with her performances. Young (12.5 points) and fellow sophomore Kaytlyn Vajgrt (10 points) ran four and five races, respectively, including preliminaries, to contribute to the team victory.
Members of the first Metro Classic Conference Champion team are: Korina Hendricks, Delaney Verba, Alicia Kennedy, Katie Gebhard, Alix Koenig, Maria Missurelli, Heidi Golembiewski, Carolyn Sikora, Madeleine Hein, Gina Sanfelippo, Megan Wengelewski, Rachel Welch, Kaytlyn Vajgrt, Katie Young, Lexi Starosta, Noelle Christensen, Noelie Ronczka, Reanna Wicker, and Hunter Bergmann. Head Coach Dan Steffes (TM ’03) is assisted by Jenny Piorkowski, Griffin Loehner (STM ’08), Tim Smith (STM ’10), Kevin Gleeson, and Pat Idstein.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Rose Tattoo folk group to be revived in Milwaukee
- Bayview Historical Society 35th Anniversary Celebration
- St. Thomas More High School to Dedicate New Gym Floor to Coach Rick Majerus
- Band Concert - Cudahy Historical Society
- Habitat for Humanity Selects Flat Rate Home Services to Assist in New Project
- Meijer Launches Simply Give Campaign in New Wisconsin Supercenters
- Milwaukee's Inner-City Youth Have a Reason to Read & Succeed
- Mayor Announces that City of St. Francis Development efforts moving forward
- Increased aircraft activity over Milwaukee this week
- Library mini-sale at Cudahy Farmer's Market