This summer, Optimist Theatre’s free Shakespeare in the Park will present William Shakespeare’s romantic comedy AS YOU LIKE IT and you’re to take part in the fun.
In AS YOU LIKE IT, the lovers, Rosalind and Orlando, hide messages for each other in the forest trees. Before each performance, you’re invited to leave your own message in the trees of Alice Bertschy Kadish Park, where the performances will take place. Your note can be anything – thoughts, hopes, memories – whatever inspires you. Optimist Theatre will provide blank notes and ribbons.
Nothing to sign up for. No reservations. No cost. The performances are also free.
AS YOU LIKE IT will be performed in the new Selig-Joseph-Folz Amphitheatre in Kadish Park. The park doesn’t have an official street address but is adjacent to and managed by the COA Youth and Family Center at 909 E. North Avenue in Milwaukee.
AS YOU LIKE IT Performance Dates will be July 12 (Opening), 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, and 21, 2013. All performances begin at 8:00 in the evening. Access to the terraced seating area will open up to the public at around 7:00 pm. Theatre goers often arrive early to picnic and make the most of their evening.
Free Shakespeare in the Park is presented to greater Milwaukee largely thanks to a $20,000 challenge grant from BMO Harris Bank.
“We are thrilled to support a program that makes theater accessible to all,” said Brad Chapin, Executive Vice President, Business Banking, BMO Harris Bank. “Optimist Theatre’s passion has the power to inspire and enrich our community. We look forward to enjoying AS YOU LIKE IT in the beautiful new performance space at Kadish Park.”
BMO Harris Bank is dedicated to building, strengthening and enhancing the lives of those who live and work in the communities they serve. BMO supports a broad range of initiatives including education, social services, economic development, health care, and arts and culture. It’s this dedication to community and great art for all that attracted Optimist Theatre to seek support from BMO Harris Bank.
Shakespeare in the Park is also supported by a grant from the Milwaukee Arts Board. The MAB has been a cornerstone sponsor for Shakespeare in the Park for all 4 seasons of its existence.
For more information, visit the Optimist Theatre website at www.OptimistTheatre.org. The latest information and most frequent updates are on the OT Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/OptimistTheatre. You may also contact Tom Reed, the Director for AS YOU LIKE IT, at TReed@OptimistTheatre.org or 414-524-9050.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Milwaukee native Jerome Kitzke performing at SMPAC Poetry in Music/Music in Poetry
- April 19: Meet Sundance Award-Winner & South Milwaukee Native Chad Gracia, Ukrainian Fedor Alexandrovich
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING® ART SHOWCASE
- End the Silence Panel Event
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA
- Wilson Senior Center Travel Outing - Peter and the Starcatcher at the Rep on May 13
- Alverno College to Host Screening of Vel Phillips Documentary
- BloodCenter to Host Milwaukee Bucks Blood Drive
- Bunny Party at the St. Francis Library