Now in its fifth successful season, the South Milwaukee Downtown Market continues to make sweet music every week.
And the 2013 lineup is as strong as ever.
Getting top billing are three concerts presented by the South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center, starting with the market on Thursday, July 11.
• July 11: Brett Newski. Newski is an indie pop singer, songwriter and guitarist from Saigon, Vietnam, whose most recent album “Tiny Victories” includes songs and tales from that country. He has been touring Vietnam on his Folk Catastrophe Tour, a benefit for disaster relief in the U.S. http://brettnewski.com/
• August 8: Jim Green. Green is a Guitar Idol champion and was voted one of the “best artists in the Midwest” by Billboard Magazine. His music has been licensed by United Church of Christ and used in documentaries, such as “Innocence Abandoned: Street Kids of Haiti.” www.jimgreenmusic.com
• August 15: OPUS Jazz Band. An icon of Wisconsin jazz, the band was founded more than 30 years ago and nominated for a 2013 Wisconsin Area Music Industry award for “best jazz group.” OPUS has shared the stage with jazz artists like Dizzy Gillespie, Freddie Hubbard, Pat Metheny, Spyro Gyro, Bill Bruford and many others. http://www.opusjazzband.com/
All PAC shows start at approximately 4 p.m.
“We’re proud to bring terrific acts like this to the Downtown Market,” said South Milwaukee PAC Director Chad Piechocki. “We value our community partnerships, and we look forward to bringing a taste of the PAC to the South Shore throughout the year. These performances at the market are examples of that.”
The market has other local music acts scheduled throughout the season (every week except when other special events are planned). Here is the lineup, with all shows starting at approximately 5 p.m., unless noted:
• July 18: South Milwaukee Youth Theatre (4 p.m.)
• August 1: Merle Pinkens
• August 22: Ron Plevak
• August 29: Christopher’s Legacy
• September 12: Garlic Mustard Pickers
• September 26: Crossing
• October 3: Sweet Music
“This is another great music lineup, and we’ve already had some great acts play this year,” said Market Chairman David Kieck. “We’ve always felt we’re more than a market. With our weekly music lineup and other special events, the Downtown Market is truly a special attraction.”
The market runs from 3 to 7 p.m. every Thursday through Oct. 10 at 11th and Milwaukee Avenues in South Milwaukee’s city center. It features dozens of vendors selling produce, organics, arts, crafts, baked goods and more. There is also a variety of prepared foods available for eating on-site at the market’s seating and stage area.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Little House Book Club at St. Francis Library
- Virtual School Students Meet Classmates at Discovery World Field Trip
- Lego Club Launches at St. Francis Library
- Kohl's Wild Theater
- 2014 Breakfast with Santa
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- Christmas Rummage & Bake Sales at Depot on Saturday
- BBB's 8 Tips to Avoid Locksmith Scams
- Chanukah in the Chocolate Factory!
- Kick Off Chanukah at East Side Public Menorah Celebration