SOUTH MILWAUKEE – On these buses, every pen, pencil and box of markers makes a difference.
Southeastern Wisconsin Lions clubs are teaming with local school districts and child service agencies to “Stuff the Bus” with school supplies and books on Saturday, August 17, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The community is invited to drop off supplies at three locations:
• Mukwonago Walmart, 250 Wolf Run (Interstate 43 and Highway 83)
• Franklin Walmart, 6701 S. 27th St.; and
• Vision Forward, 912 N. Hawley Road, Milwaukee.
All donations are welcome; specific lists of needed supplies are available here: http://www.wisconsinlions.org/stuffthebus/generic-supply-list.pdf.
In all, more than 50 Lions clubs from around Wisconsin are taking part in the “Stuff the Bus” events, including 12 who will be working the Franklin Walmart location. Lions International President Barry Palmer is traveling from Australia to join the Franklin crew – the first visit to the district by a sitting Lions International president in 53 years.
“The Lions motto is ‘We Serve,’ and this event is a great example of that,” said Lions International Director Karla Harris of South Milwaukee, Wisconsin Lions Bus project coordinator. “The donated school supplies and books will make a difference in the lives of our local children and will give them the supplies they need to be successful in school.”
Added Past District Governor Debbie Schwanz: “Lions clubs are a group of men and women who identify needs within the community and work together to fulfill those needs. It’s a simple mission, and the ‘Stuff the Bus’ drive is just one way to bring it to life.”
The “Stuff the Bus” event is presented by the Wisconsin Lions District 27-A1, which encompasses 55 Lions clubs in Southeastern Wisconsin. Items will be donated to local schools and organizations like the Children’s Service Society of Wisconsin for distribution to foster kids.
The Lions clubs are also accepting monetary donations. Donations are tax deductible and will all be used to immediately purchase and distribute needed school supplies. Send checks payable to “SM Lions Foundation-Bus” to P.O. Box 66, South Milwaukee, WI 53172.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Celebrate Independence Day at Humboldt Park
- Fun, food and fireworks, it's South Shore Frolic time!
- DYPC Junior & Senior Company Auditions
- ATI Physical Therapy Offers Complimentary Screenings at All Locations
- Music for every Palate – South Milwaukee Market announces July music line up
- Back to School Event for Foster Children Urges Public to Volunteer
- Real Time - First Friday Performance Series at Danceworks
- Catey Ott Dance Collective: 3rd (i) EYE Conscious
- The UMDF Energy for Life Walk is September 26th!
- Memoir about Oak Creek