Michael Kamenski, assistant professor of Music at Alverno College, will be honored with a 2013 Vatican II Award for Distinguished Service for outstanding contributions to the Church and society later this fall. The awards, established in 1991, recognize men, women and young adults who exemplify the Catholic Church’s vision set forth in the Second Vatican Council.
Kamenski, Director of Liturgy and Music at St. Sebastian Parish, Milwaukee, will receive the Service in Liturgy award for his work as a musician, liturgist and teacher at multiple parishes over the past several decades. According to the Archdiocese, the recipient must:
• have evidenced the imparting of an ever-increasing vigor to the Christian life of the faithful by careful preparation and implementation of worship services and preparation of liturgical ministers
• have shown a consistent interest in promoting ecumenical sensitivity among all churches
• have given witness to the connection of liturgy and social justice by their involvement in the life of the community.
A prayer service and award ceremony will be held at the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, 812 N. Jackson St., Milwaukee, 7 p.m. on October 22. This event is free and open to the public, with a dessert reception to follow.
About Alverno College
Alverno College, a four-year independent, Catholic, liberal arts college for women, exists to promote the personal and professional development of its students. The college has earned accolades and respect internationally for its highly effective ability-based, assessment-as-learning approach to education, and has consulted with three U.S. presidential administrations on accountability and outcomes in higher education. For two years in a row, Alverno College was ranked first in the Midwest for doing “the best job of educating undergrads” by U.S. News & World Report. Educators from throughout the world visit Alverno to learn about its proven, student-centered teaching methods.
Alverno offers more than 35 major program areas of study, including graduate programs in education, nursing, community psychology and business that are open to women and men. For more information about Alverno, visit our website at www.alverno.edu or call 414-382-6100.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek Community United Methodist Church 175th Anniversary Carnival
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin Thanks Donors with Complimentary Gas Card
- Alverno College Students Awarded Scholarships
- How to Choose a Trustworthy Plumber
- Wisonsin Panthers Basketball
- Cudahy Historical Society Open House This Saturday
- Howard Village Hosts Fall Open House
- SUPPORT CUDAHY FARMERS MARKET
- PURSE AUCTION FEATURES MORE THAN HANDBAGS
- Card Skimming: Can it Happen to You?