NATIONAL PRESENTERS BRING LIFESAVING INFORMATION TO MILWAUKEE
First Annual Suicide Prevention Conference to be Held in Milwaukee October 25, 2013
Strategically following National Suicide Prevention Month in September, the challenging topic is a recent memory for some. For others it’s a far off thought or even a daily worry. Suicide however, is a topic everyone should be learning about as it can affect anyone.
Prevent Suicide Greater Milwaukee, a branch coalition of Prevent Suicide Wisconsin, along with Milwaukee County’s Behavioral Health Division, Dry Hootch, GLS, Mental Health America of Wisconsin, and UW-Milwaukee will be presenting a full day conference focused solely on Suicide Prevention. While providing extremely valuable information the planning committee set out to offer the conference at a low cost to insure the message was presented to anyone who was interested. The cost is $30 or $45 for those interested in the 5.5 continuing education credits.
The training, conveniently located at the Milwaukee County War Memorial will feature Dr. Patrick Corrigan a licensed clinical psychologist providing services for people with serious mental illnesses for more than 30 years. He was principal investigator for the Chicago Consortium for Stigma Research. It will also feature Dr. Jeffrey Garbelman who has worked extensively in maximum security settings, developing expertise in the area of suicide assessment. He will be training all who attend in the Columbia Suicide Severity Rating Scale (C-SSRS) which will include a certification.
There will be a panel discussion with Dr. Steve Dykstra, a licensed psychologist with Milwaukee County's Mobile Urgent Treatment team and Dr. Brian Fidlin a clinical psychologist at Children’s Hospital and nationally recognized speaker on the areas of pediatric brain development, substance abuse and dependency. Lastly, the audience will hear from Michael Orban the Author of the book “Souled Out: A Memoir of War and Inner Peace”. Michael is a war veteran who has 45 years of experience with combat PTSD.
Registration and more information can be found at: http://www.mhawisconsin.org/psgm-conference.aspx
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar
- #YourStoryMKE Shares Personal Stories About Those Benefiting from Catholic Charities’ Programs
- Book Release Party at Cudahy Family Library
- Bay View Historical Society Annual Walk on August 6th
- St. Ann Center Gala Promises An Uplifting Experience
- Thank you from the Humboldt Park 4th of July Association
- It's South Shore Frolics Time!