Arcadia Publishing Company has released Ron Winkler’s Milwaukee’s Town of Lake in its “Images of America” series. The Bay View Historical Society will celebrate this debut with a holiday party and book signing on Saturday, December 14th from 1:00 to 6:00 pm at the Beulah Brinton House, 2590 South Superior Street. Refreshments will be provided and the house will be decorated for Christmas. Winkler is a member of the Bay View Historical Society.
Milwaukee’s Town of Lake will make a great holiday gift. Winkler’s previous book Bay View will also be for sale. Both books sell for $21.99 each and all profit goes to the Bay View Historical Society.
The Town of Lake was created in 1838 as one of Milwaukee County’s seven townships. Its borders were Greenfield Avenue (north), College Avenue (south), (27th Street) west, and Lake Michigan (east). Beginning in 1850 and ending in 1954, Lake passed out of existence piecemeal as its farmland became developed and was claimed by the City of Milwaukee or incorporated to become Bay View, Cudahy, and St. Francis. The St. Francis Seminary and Convent, Cupertino tree on the lakefront, Lake Band, Lake Town Hall, Airway Theater, Lakeside Power Plant, Patrick Cudahy Company, Mitchell International Airport, Forest Home Cemetery, St. Josaphat’s Basilica, Nunnemacher’s Distillery, Grebe’s Bakery, Gardetto’s Bakery, New Coeln, and the Tippecanoe neighborhood with its landmark water tower are only a small part of what made Lake a unique area of Milwaukee County.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Little House Book Club at St. Francis Library
- Virtual School Students Meet Classmates at Discovery World Field Trip
- Lego Club Launches at St. Francis Library
- Kohl's Wild Theater
- 2014 Breakfast with Santa
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- Christmas Rummage & Bake Sales at Depot on Saturday
- BBB's 8 Tips to Avoid Locksmith Scams
- Chanukah in the Chocolate Factory!
- Kick Off Chanukah at East Side Public Menorah Celebration