The Deer Creek Intermediate School ROV (Remotely Operated underwater-Vehicle) Team received 1st Place in the ROV Scout Class of the 2014 Building the Water Generation ROV Competition held at Discovery World and the UWM Klotsche Pool. This was the first year Deer Creek Intermediate School students participated in the competition now open to middle school students.
The ROV team won using the ROV Odysseus which was designed and built by a team of 7th and 8th graders. This second generation ROV sponsored by Ward Scientific and the Deer Creek and Willow Glen PTO was built to improve upon their original ROV, ROV Neptune, using parts associated with a kit provided by MATE. Students began the design and build process early in February and competed this past weekend (March 31, 2014) to finish the season. Now students have to wait till next year to improve upon this year’s progress.
Congratulations to the DCISrobotics ROV team!
For more information about DCISrobotics, visit our website @ http://sfbot.org or find us on facebook @ https://facebook.com/dcisrobotics.
Five years ago, The Building the Water Generation ROV Competition for the State or Wisconsin was developed in partnership with the Milwaukee Water Council, UWM-School of Freshwater Sciences, UWM-School of Continuing Education and Discovery World. The Building the Water Generation ROV Competition is a regional site to the international Marine Advanced Technology Education (MATE).
Besides raising student awareness of freshwater career opportunities, it provides the means of developing technical, communication, teamwork, problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Public/private sector experts also are sought out to mentor regional teams on the United Nations Compact issues (aquaculture, phosphorus, storm water, waste treatment, new technologies, contaminants and integrated solutions), and connect students and teachers with working professionals in the water sector.
Other pluses are that ROV Teams are matched with water sector working professionals that volunteer their time and technical expertise as mentors, technical assistants, and competition judges.
Partners for the ROV Competition 2014, Building the Water Generation are: Discovery World, The Water Council, UWM School of Continuing Education, UWM School of Freshwater Sciences and the UWM College of Engineering & Applied Science.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- First Day of School for St. Francis Public Schools
- Kelly Senior Center invites you to join their monthly Luncheon Outings
- Fun and Affordable Day Trips through Kelly Senior Center
- Animated Illusionist Ardan James to Perform
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market Plans Grand Reopening on July 31st - Shows off remodeled 11th Avenue Streetscape
- Bay View High School Holding 100th Anniversary
- Brain Injury Resource Center of Wisconsin, Inc.’s new informational commercial
- Post-Summer Polar Vortex, Return to the Beach and Check a Website for Conditions
- Local Theater Company Places Women in Spotlight in Upcoming World Premiere
- Relay For Life of the Southern 8 - August 1st