128th Anniversary commemoration of Bay View Tragedy to honor seven killed in labor struggle
The 128th anniversary commemoration of the Bay View Tragedy will be held on the first Sunday of May, honoring the seven who were killed by the state militia while marching on behalf of the eight-hour day campaign on May 5, 1886, outside the Bay View Rolling Mills.
The event will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday, May 4, on the site of the State Historical Marker for the Bay View Rolling Mills, S. Superior St. and E. Russell Ave., Milwaukee.
The event, which has been celebrated annually on the first Sunday of May for the last 28 years, attracts 300 or more persons each you. It is held outdoors in front of the marker and is free.
Wisconsin State AFL-CIO President Phil Neuenfeldt will be keynote speaker in the hour-long ceremony that will also feature singing by longtime folksinger Larry Penn and the Solidarity Singers of Madison, along with a re-enactment of the 1886 event by the Milwaukee Public Theatre and the Milwaukee Mask and Puppet Theatre.
The Wisconsin Labor History Society is lead sponsor of the event, which is planned by a committee that includes representative of the Bay View Historical Society, residents of the Bay View area, union leaders and others.
For information, contact Ken Germanson, President Emeritus of the Wisconsin Labor History Society, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 414-687-6954.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- BBB Top 10 Scams of 2014
- Save the Date for Cedarburg Art Fair on March 7th, 10-4
- Friends of Pulaski Park-Cudahy Planning Park Upgrade
- Work At Home Scam Targets College Students
- An Open Letter to Governor Walker Regarding "Easy" Teacher Licensure
- From Hollywood to Holy Wood!
- BBB Advice on Making 2015 a Debt-Free Year
- SCORE announces February Business Training Schedule
- Miss West Allis/New Berlin Scholarship Program
- Spring Fling Family Dance Workshop