Did you know that St. Francis will soon be home to an All Abilities Playground?
The St. Francis All Abilities Playground will be a welcoming, inclusive place that’s accessible to children (and adults) of all ability levels. It will include wheelchair swings and other barrier-free playground equipment, as well as musical instruments, Braille and sign language features, and a quiet resting place for those who require a little less stimulation. It will be a spot for learning, for building community, for physical, mental and emotional exercise, and most of all, for fun and play in a non-judgmental setting. It will be the first playground of its kind in Milwaukee County, and many local businesses and residents are already huge supporters.
The St. Francis All Abilities Playground will be built entirely by volunteers and paid for by donations and fundraising; no tax dollars will be used fund the project, which could cost more than $300,000. The two possible sites for the playground are within Greene Park and on the west side of Packard Avenue, between Howard Avenue and Lake Drive. A firm that specializes in the design of accessible parks will work with a team headed up by Jocelyn Borzick, a St. Francis mom and disabilities advocate who proposed the project to the City of St. Francis after seeing other similar parks.
Be sure to mark your calendars for the Playground’s first official fundraiser, a Craft/Vendor Fair on May 17th from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Deer Creek Intermediate School, with local crafters and vendors such as Tupperware, Longaberger baskets, Scentsy, Mary Kay and many more. The fair will include raffles, baked goods, a pulled pork lunch, and a photo booth. A Partylite candles fundraiser took place in April, and more fundraisers are in the works.
You can get updates and news about this wonderful project on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/stfaaplayground), Twitter (#stfaaplayground) and at the playground’s website (http://www.stfaaplayground.org/).
Written by P.J. Early
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- First Day of School for St. Francis Public Schools
- Kelly Senior Center invites you to join their monthly Luncheon Outings
- Fun and Affordable Day Trips through Kelly Senior Center
- Animated Illusionist Ardan James to Perform
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market Plans Grand Reopening on July 31st - Shows off remodeled 11th Avenue Streetscape
- Bay View High School Holding 100th Anniversary
- Brain Injury Resource Center of Wisconsin, Inc.’s new informational commercial
- Post-Summer Polar Vortex, Return to the Beach and Check a Website for Conditions
- Local Theater Company Places Women in Spotlight in Upcoming World Premiere
- Relay For Life of the Southern 8 - August 1st