Farewell to SM Carpets and Vinyl
Thirty-eight years ago in February 1976, Gary and Bonnee Lugauer moved their carpet business from West Allis to their current location at 1007 Milwaukee Avenue. They opened their doors and their floors as South Milwaukee Carpet and Vinyl. The family, which eventually included two sons, Gordon and Steven, has lived above the store all these years. In 1979, when a fire destroyed the inside of the former Garden Theater next door, the theater building was annexed to the carpet store to provide a warehouse and a supplementary showroom. The expansion allowed the family business to offer additional flooring commodities such as a wide selection of first quality remnants and full rolls ( no "seconds" or damaged items), laminate and luxury vinyl tile as while as an array of floor care products. The expansion also permitted a wonderful, creative space for the boys and their friends. The projection room of the theater served many purposes over the years: a play room, a sewing room, Gordon's bedroom, a percussion studio. Many grand memories.
SM Caret and Vinyl always has provided experienced and guaranteed installation and repair for all products sold by the store as well as how-to advice for the store's do-it-yourself customers. The customer base primarily has been residential home owners, apartment owners and local businesses. Yet even when customers moved "up North", they returned to SM Carpets for their flooring needs. Children and grandchildren of customers continue to purchase from SM Carpets.
Now Bonnee and Gary are retiring from daily business life. They will enjoy their grandchildren. Gary will play bluegrass music and bowl. Bonnee will sail and play Irish music. During their Retirement Celebration Sale, all merchandise in the store is offered at going-out-of-business prices. Expert installation will continue to be available. Open store hours are limited, but individual appointments readily can be arranged. Call South Milwaukee Carpets and Vinyl at (414) 762-1350.
We have enjoyed serving the community for four decades. Thank you to everyone who has supported us.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fun and Affordable Day Trips through Kelly Senior Center
- Animated Illusionist Ardan James to Perform
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market Plans Grand Reopening on July 31st - Shows off remodeled 11th Avenue Streetscape
- Bay View High School Holding 100th Anniversary
- Brain Injury Resource Center of Wisconsin, Inc.’s new informational commercial
- Post-Summer Polar Vortex, Return to the Beach and Check a Website for Conditions
- Local Theater Company Places Women in Spotlight in Upcoming World Premiere
- Relay For Life of the Southern 8 - August 1st
- Cudahy Family Library presents Antique Appraisal Event
- Cell phones and 911.