On Friday, July 11, the public is invited to be a part of an historic event in the community: Design Day for the St. Francis All Abilities Playground.
From 9-11 a.m. at Deer Creek Intermediate School, 3680 S. Kinnickinnic Ave., children can present their ideas about their dream playground to representatives from Leathers & Associates, the firm that will design the playground.
Then, from 3-7 p.m., a free celebration will take place at Vretenar Memorial Park, 4230 S. Kirkwood Ave., with police and fire vehicles, a bounce house, concessions, cake, and a showing of the movie “Frozen.” At 8 p.m. will be the big unveiling of the playground design, which will turn ideas from the morning’s brainstorming session with the kids into a reality.
Built entirely by community volunteers and donations, the St. Francis All Abilities Playground will be located on the north end of Packard Avenue near Lake Drive, and will be a welcoming, inclusive place that’s accessible to children (and adults) of all ability levels. It will include wheelchair swings and other barrier-free playground equipment, as well as musical instruments, Braille and sign language features, and a quiet resting place.
Jocelyn Borzick, the St. Francis mom and disabilities advocate who proposed the project to the City of St. Francis, said, “Design Day is the culmination of months of planning. We can’t wait to hear all the great ideas from the community, and finally see what our playground will look like!”
Find updates and news about this remarkable project on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/stfaaplayground), Twitter (#stfaaplayground) and at the playground’s website (http://www.stfaaplayground.org/).
- World Wide Knit in Public Day Celebration at Cudahy Family Library
- Art Show at Cudahy Depot
- OAKVIEW BUSINESS PARK LOOKS TO CAPITALIZE ON ROBUST OAK CREEK DEVELOPMENT MARKET
- Huge Bicycle Auction
- Spring Festival at Polonia Sport Club
- A Disappearing Continues!
- Eat at Transfer Pizzeria May 9-23 to benefit Second Hand Purrs
- Holly and Joey Baird of the Wisconsin Vegetable Gardener at the Cudahy Family Library in June
- Meet a Red, White, and Blue Jew in Milwaukee!
- Vendor Fair and Bake Sale Sunday May 22