As we come upon the 4th anniversary for Wisconsin’s smoke-free workplace law, people are finally starting to realize the benefits of working in an environment with clean air.
When the law first went into affect, smokers were upset because they would no longer be able to enjoy a cigarette in their favorite establishment. For the workers and non-smokers, however, they were able to breathe a little easier.
For many, working in a smoke-free environment has resulted in several improvements in their health. For example, bartenders who have been exposed to second-hand smoke while at work reported that they had a decrease in respiratory symptoms. It is because of this law that less people are affected by second-hand smoke. It is important for employees to be healthy enough to do their jobs and this law has made that possible.
While some people may still be upset about this law, it is important for them to understand the great things it has done for employees, as well as other customers of Milwaukee establishments. Spreading the word about what the smoke-free workplace law has done will help more people understand how unhealthy second-hand smoke is, and stop smoking in general.
The Wisconsin African American Tobacco Prevention Network (WAATPN) wants to protect the non-smokers, and also assist smokers in their fight to quit. We encourage individuals looking to end their use of tobacco products to call the Wisconsin Tobacco Quit Line at 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Home for the Holidays: Keeping You and Your Loved Ones Safe on the Road
- Little House Book Club at St. Francis Library
- Virtual School Students Meet Classmates at Discovery World Field Trip
- Lego Club Launches at St. Francis Library
- Kohl's Wild Theater
- 2014 Breakfast with Santa
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- Christmas Rummage & Bake Sales at Depot on Saturday
- BBB's 8 Tips to Avoid Locksmith Scams
- CigarMKE Announces Custom Food, Drink & Cigar Lounge Tour in January