As we come upon the 4th anniversary for Wisconsin’s smoke-free workplace law, people are finally starting to realize the benefits of working in an environment with clean air.
When the law first went into affect, smokers were upset because they would no longer be able to enjoy a cigarette in their favorite establishment. For the workers and non-smokers, however, they were able to breathe a little easier.
For many, working in a smoke-free environment has resulted in several improvements in their health. For example, bartenders who have been exposed to second-hand smoke while at work reported that they had a decrease in respiratory symptoms. It is because of this law that less people are affected by second-hand smoke. It is important for employees to be healthy enough to do their jobs and this law has made that possible.
While some people may still be upset about this law, it is important for them to understand the great things it has done for employees, as well as other customers of Milwaukee establishments. Spreading the word about what the smoke-free workplace law has done will help more people understand how unhealthy second-hand smoke is, and stop smoking in general.
The Wisconsin African American Tobacco Prevention Network (WAATPN) wants to protect the non-smokers, and also assist smokers in their fight to quit. We encourage individuals looking to end their use of tobacco products to call the Wisconsin Tobacco Quit Line at 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- ATI Physical Therapy Offers Complimentary Screenings at All Locations
- Music for every Palate – South Milwaukee Market announces July music line up
- Back to School Event for Foster Children Urges Public to Volunteer
- Real Time - First Friday Performance Series at Danceworks
- Catey Ott Dance Collective: 3rd (i) EYE Conscious
- The UMDF Energy for Life Walk is September 26th!
- Memoir about Oak Creek
- Cyclists Will Ride Toward a World Free of MS at Bike MS: TOYOTA Best Dam Bike Tour
- Thankful for a tobacco-free Dad
- Daley Debutantes Youth Group Celebrates 60th Anniversary