South Milwaukee Downtown Market Plans Grand Reopening on July 31st - Shows off remodeled 11th Avenue Streetscape
South Milwaukee Downtown Market Plans Grand Reopening on July 31st
Shows off remodeled 11th Avenue Streetscape
SOUTH MILWAUKEE (July 22, 2014) -- The South Milwaukee Downtown Market is returning home.
The market is planning a grand reopening to show off its remodeled 11th Avenue location on Thursday, July 31, after street construction forced a temporary move.
To celebrate, market organizers plan a free recycleable grocery bag giveaway at starting at 3 p.m. The first 300 families will receive bags. There will also be toe-tapping music by KR Bluegrass, as well as the market’s regular vendors featured on a new and improved streetscape design.
Organizers also wish to thank the following South Milwaukee businesses that generously offered the market a temporary home during the road construction: Caterpillar, Salvatore’s/Papa Luigi’s II and Power Temp Electrical and HVAC.
“We are happy to be back our longtime home, but we can’t thank our community partners enough,” said Market Chairman David Kieck. “The transition to our temporary home was seamless, and their support kept the market downtown.”
Vendors also continue to show a strong commitment to our market. As of mid-July, 40 vendors have signed full-season space rentals. The new-look 11th Avenue space, combined with the nearby Caterpillar parking lot, can host more than 60 vendors (some with power). Limited vendor space is still available for businesses who make, bake or grow their own products.
The outdoor market continues every Thursday through October 9. Hours are 3 to 7 p.m. The market continues to be a social gathering spot for walking clubs, bible study groups and clubs.
“It’s great to see the community and area businesses continue to rally behind the market,” Kieck said. “We have a great event here, and people want to be a part of it. It’s truly become a celebration of all our city has to offer.”
More information on the South Milwaukee Downtown Market, vendor forms and special events are at www.smmarket.org and on facebook.
Special Events Planned: Outdoor Movies, Health Fair
The market also has several special events planned. Look for more details soon on both events.
• Outdoor Movies: Guardian Credit Union’s Movies at the Market are scheduled following the markets on August 14 (Lego Movie) and 21 (Frozen) and October 9 (Hocus Pocus). Showtime is approximately 8:30 p.m. for the August movies and 6:30 p.m. for the October show.
• Health Fair: The Health Fair, presented by South Shore Family Chiropractic, is also returning. It is set for Thursday, Sept. 4.
- Kitten Baby Shower Saturday May 7 at Second Hand Purrs
- South Milwaukee Little League Opening Day
- MARDI GRAS IN MAY!
- Sister Edna’s Jewelry Gets Shiny New Look
- Midwest Premiere Event "A Disappearing"
- Play Minecraft in a Movie Theatre
- One week left to consider virtual education for your child
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Becky’s Blissful Bakery Enters Partnerships to Create Cutting-Edge Caramel Pairings; First of its Kind in the Caramel Industry
- Spring Estate and Rummage Sale at St. Ann Center