Alverno College gears up for second annual American Cancer Society Relay For Life event, April 25-26
During the past few years, the Alverno College community has felt the effects of cancer first hand. Some colleagues, students, family and friends have been diagnosed with the disease, others are continuing to fight their battle, and still others have lost their fight.
After a successful event in spring 2008, in which more than $55,000 was raised for cancer research, education, advocacy and patient service programs and earning Alverno a “Rookie of the Year” award from the American Cancer Society (ACS), this year’s event is set for April 25-26 on the Alverno College campus. The event is a unique celebration in honor and in memory of those whose lives have been touched by cancer.
In this family-oriented team event, participants will walk relay-style throughout the night on a designated route on the college grounds and on the sidewalks along 43rd Street and Morgan Avenue that surround the campus. The event officially begins at 6 p.m. with an opening ceremony, followed by the survivor lap at 6:30 p.m. A luminaria ceremony will begin at 10 p.m., which is a candlelight tribute to those who have endured cancer and survived, those still fighting, and in memory of those who have lost their courageous battle. Glowing luminarias will line the route and the names of survivors as well as those lost to the disease will be read aloud. Luminarias can be purchased at the event for a suggested donation of $5. The closing ceremony is planned for 7:30 a.m. on Sunday, April 26.
Several activities are planned during the relay including a DJ, theme laps, raffle and silent auction, jewelry sale to benefit ACS, Kids Corner, inflatable bouncer, ACS information table, and much more. Food and drink will be available for purchase or suggested donation with proceeds going toward cancer research.
The public is welcome to attend this event. For more information, visit www.relayforlife.org/alverno or contact committee co-chairs Alisa Ackerman at 382-6409 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Debra Butz at 382-6175 or email@example.com for more details.
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- 15th Stu's Flooring Benefit Golf Outing Tees Off
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar
- #YourStoryMKE Shares Personal Stories About Those Benefiting from Catholic Charities’ Programs
- Book Release Party at Cudahy Family Library
- Bay View Historical Society Annual Walk on August 6th
- St. Ann Center Gala Promises An Uplifting Experience