Alverno College gears up for second annual American Cancer Society Relay For Life event, April 25-26
During the past few years, the Alverno College community has felt the effects of cancer first hand. Some colleagues, students, family and friends have been diagnosed with the disease, others are continuing to fight their battle, and still others have lost their fight.
After a successful event in spring 2008, in which more than $55,000 was raised for cancer research, education, advocacy and patient service programs and earning Alverno a “Rookie of the Year” award from the American Cancer Society (ACS), this year’s event is set for April 25-26 on the Alverno College campus. The event is a unique celebration in honor and in memory of those whose lives have been touched by cancer.
In this family-oriented team event, participants will walk relay-style throughout the night on a designated route on the college grounds and on the sidewalks along 43rd Street and Morgan Avenue that surround the campus. The event officially begins at 6 p.m. with an opening ceremony, followed by the survivor lap at 6:30 p.m. A luminaria ceremony will begin at 10 p.m., which is a candlelight tribute to those who have endured cancer and survived, those still fighting, and in memory of those who have lost their courageous battle. Glowing luminarias will line the route and the names of survivors as well as those lost to the disease will be read aloud. Luminarias can be purchased at the event for a suggested donation of $5. The closing ceremony is planned for 7:30 a.m. on Sunday, April 26.
Several activities are planned during the relay including a DJ, theme laps, raffle and silent auction, jewelry sale to benefit ACS, Kids Corner, inflatable bouncer, ACS information table, and much more. Food and drink will be available for purchase or suggested donation with proceeds going toward cancer research.
The public is welcome to attend this event. For more information, visit www.relayforlife.org/alverno or contact committee co-chairs Alisa Ackerman at 382-6409 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Debra Butz at 382-6175 or email@example.com for more details.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- First Day of School for St. Francis Public Schools
- Kelly Senior Center invites you to join their monthly Luncheon Outings
- Fun and Affordable Day Trips through Kelly Senior Center
- Animated Illusionist Ardan James to Perform
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market Plans Grand Reopening on July 31st - Shows off remodeled 11th Avenue Streetscape
- Bay View High School Holding 100th Anniversary
- Brain Injury Resource Center of Wisconsin, Inc.’s new informational commercial
- Post-Summer Polar Vortex, Return to the Beach and Check a Website for Conditions
- Local Theater Company Places Women in Spotlight in Upcoming World Premiere
- Relay For Life of the Southern 8 - August 1st