HUMBOLDT PARK 4TH OF JULY TALENT SHOW CANCELLED
I am a member of the Humboldt park 4th of July Association. This group was founded as the "Safe and Sane 4th" in 1910. We as an all volunteer association have one of the largest Independence Day Parade in the city. The July 4th celebration is a fun filled day of planned events for young children to adults.
The City of Milwaukee 2009 Budget dramatically cut $25,000 to the city-wide 4th of July Commission. As volunteers, we are now forced togo to the community to seek funds to preserve our park's July 4th celebrations from the community at large and business alike.
The Milwaukee 4th of July Commission has announced the elimination of the funding for the Youth Talent Shows in the parks. Therfore Humboldt Park's afternoon youth talent show has been cancelled. We must now pay for some services that the commission provided free to us in past years. If you would like to help us financially, please sign up for the "We Care Program" at Pick N' Save stores and designate the "Humboldt Park 4th of July Association".
Humboldt Park's 4th of July parade has about 100 units. Bands and music in the park for the day can run $5,000 alone. To continue to provide a full dfay of events, we need to raise $10,000. Some of the other activities during the day are Children's contests of Doll Buggy, Coaster, Bicycle, and Tricycle events. Children's Games, morning and afternoon entertainment, music all day in the park and evening program of musical enetrtainment for 2 hours, plus fireworks are part of these activities.
We want this tradition to continue for future generations. Please contact Mayor Tom Barrett and your alderperson and let them know how you feel about this budget cut. Milwaukee City Hall's telephone number is: 414-286-2489.
Humboldt Park 4th of July Association
1301 College Ave. # 6-C
South Milwaukee, Wi. 53172
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- City of Cudahy Arbor Day/ Earth Day Free Event
- HUGE Kelly Senior Center Rummage - Saturday, April 26
- St. Francis All Abilities Playground Craft/Vendor Fair
- Learn about Compost on Earth Day at Brew City Gardens
- HamBingo Wednesday April 23 Benefiting Second Hand Purrs
- Spring Market Returns to SM High School on April 26th
- Build For A Better South Shore
- St. Francis Library Spring Party
- Eat at Ruby Tuesday in Greendale April 17-19 to Benefit Second Hand Purrs
- 20th Assembly District Candidate Mike Pierce Names Campaign Manager