Chad M. Olson
8330 N. Teutonia Ave # 203
Brown Deer, WI 53223
You have a claim: Here’s how your insurance company will help
July 28, 2009 — High winds cause a large tree to fall through the roof of your home. Since you’ve never had an insurance claim before, two questions immediately come to mind: “What can I expect from my insurance company and what can I do to help with the process?”
First, report your claim. You can do this by calling your agent or the insurance company’s claim call center, if it has one. You’ll be asked to provide your policy number, brief description of what happened and phone numbers where you can be reached.
If your home has sustained serious damage, take prompt and reasonable steps to prevent additional damage. Use plywood, tarps or other materials to cover broken windows and damaged rooftops. Keep copies of the receipts for your adjuster.
An adjuster will contact you to arrange a visit to your property. Once there, the adjuster will inspect your home and begin to develop repair estimates. If you have time, compile a list of any damaged furnishings or personal items before the adjuster arrives. Include the make, model, age and serial number of each item.
Once the investigation is completed, the adjuster will contact you to review your claim and settlement amount. You will then receive your claim payment minus your policy deductible.
Remember, the insurance company will pay for materials that are of like kind and quality to the materials that were damaged. If you want to upgrade materials or make an improvement, you will be responsible for the additional cost.
It is your responsibility to select a contractor and arrange for repairs. It is usually best to select a local contractor who has operated in the area for several years, has adequate insurance and is willing to give you a written guarantee.
If you have problems getting the repairs done for the claim payment, call your adjuster prior to hiring a contractor so you can discuss a resolution.
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar
- #YourStoryMKE Shares Personal Stories About Those Benefiting from Catholic Charities’ Programs
- Book Release Party at Cudahy Family Library
- Bay View Historical Society Annual Walk on August 6th
- St. Ann Center Gala Promises An Uplifting Experience
- Thank you from the Humboldt Park 4th of July Association
- It's South Shore Frolics Time!