South Milwaukee parish annual festival August 7-9
Two huge tents filled with free entertainment and special events will help celebrate the 30th anniversary of FunFest, August 7 – 9, at the parish’s College Ave. site, 695 College Ave.
FunFest 2009 features its most ambitious schedule of activities for the three-day event, according to Dawn Carrillo, FunFest, co-chairperson.
On Friday night, The Toys, will perform an anniversary show of their own: This is their 10th year at the festival. The show will include specials and giveaways throughout the night. Also on Friday local band, Big Green Sofa, performs at the east/30th Anniversary tent. Saturday afternoon centers on nostalgia. A pie eating contest and spelling bee will feature parish and community contestants. The evening the band, 76-Juliet, promises to create a party atmosphere in the main tent. Seven local young bands will be featured on the 30th Anniversary tent.
On Sunday, a traditional Polka mass is at 11 a.m. indoors. It will be followed by the big band sounds of the Village Band. Other Sunday highlights include a grilling demonstration by a chef from downtown Milwaukee’s Sabor Restaurant; the first ever Pong tournament with more than 40 teams competing (using water); and local favorite Mt. Olive performs starting at 5 p.m.
“We’ve created a great cross-section of entertainment and activities,” Carrillo said.
The weekend will also feature family entertainer, Mad Science; wrist-band ride specials; fire trucks; GameCrazy games and more. A $5,500 cash raffle will be awarded Sunday night. Great homemade dinners will be available throughout the weekend on the spacious grounds and via drive-thru service: famous fish fry on Friday, Southwoods ribs on Saturday and roasted chicken dinner on Sunday.
“This is a special event you will want to attend more then just one day,” said Steve (Harpo) Jankowski, FunFest co-chair. “Our festival has a great tradition in our community, It’s an event we plan all year, and this year will be the best ever.”
Check out www.dmfunfest.com for schedule details.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- First Day of School for St. Francis Public Schools
- Kelly Senior Center invites you to join their monthly Luncheon Outings
- Fun and Affordable Day Trips through Kelly Senior Center
- Animated Illusionist Ardan James to Perform
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market Plans Grand Reopening on July 31st - Shows off remodeled 11th Avenue Streetscape
- Bay View High School Holding 100th Anniversary
- Brain Injury Resource Center of Wisconsin, Inc.’s new informational commercial
- Post-Summer Polar Vortex, Return to the Beach and Check a Website for Conditions
- Local Theater Company Places Women in Spotlight in Upcoming World Premiere
- Relay For Life of the Southern 8 - August 1st