South Milwaukee parish annual festival August 7-9
Two huge tents filled with free entertainment and special events will help celebrate the 30th anniversary of FunFest, August 7 – 9, at the parish’s College Ave. site, 695 College Ave.
FunFest 2009 features its most ambitious schedule of activities for the three-day event, according to Dawn Carrillo, FunFest, co-chairperson.
On Friday night, The Toys, will perform an anniversary show of their own: This is their 10th year at the festival. The show will include specials and giveaways throughout the night. Also on Friday local band, Big Green Sofa, performs at the east/30th Anniversary tent. Saturday afternoon centers on nostalgia. A pie eating contest and spelling bee will feature parish and community contestants. The evening the band, 76-Juliet, promises to create a party atmosphere in the main tent. Seven local young bands will be featured on the 30th Anniversary tent.
On Sunday, a traditional Polka mass is at 11 a.m. indoors. It will be followed by the big band sounds of the Village Band. Other Sunday highlights include a grilling demonstration by a chef from downtown Milwaukee’s Sabor Restaurant; the first ever Pong tournament with more than 40 teams competing (using water); and local favorite Mt. Olive performs starting at 5 p.m.
“We’ve created a great cross-section of entertainment and activities,” Carrillo said.
The weekend will also feature family entertainer, Mad Science; wrist-band ride specials; fire trucks; GameCrazy games and more. A $5,500 cash raffle will be awarded Sunday night. Great homemade dinners will be available throughout the weekend on the spacious grounds and via drive-thru service: famous fish fry on Friday, Southwoods ribs on Saturday and roasted chicken dinner on Sunday.
“This is a special event you will want to attend more then just one day,” said Steve (Harpo) Jankowski, FunFest co-chair. “Our festival has a great tradition in our community, It’s an event we plan all year, and this year will be the best ever.”
Check out www.dmfunfest.com for schedule details.
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar
- #YourStoryMKE Shares Personal Stories About Those Benefiting from Catholic Charities’ Programs
- Book Release Party at Cudahy Family Library
- Bay View Historical Society Annual Walk on August 6th
- St. Ann Center Gala Promises An Uplifting Experience
- Thank you from the Humboldt Park 4th of July Association
- It's South Shore Frolics Time!