I recently read a comment posted by one of Randy Hollenbeck's readers. The reader questioned (and criticized) the ability for candidates running for political office to use public buildings as forums for campaigning.
I'm curious about the law and campaign ethics here. I've observed two candidates used the Cudahy Public Library to conduct either a fundraiser or meet the candidate event. Based on another comment posted on Mr. Hollenbeck's blog citing McCain Feingold, I am led to believe that the explicit use of a government owned property or building for partisan political purposes, individual benefit or political campaigning is strictly illegal.
Is this the sort of thing that could remove a candidate from the ballot? Is it the kind of behavior we expect from our elected officials?
I am lead to believe that certain municipal employees, and even the librarian are actually campaigning for some candidates. Isn't this a violation of the law? I do not support the use of my tax money for political campaigning.
I would like information on how to start a formal inquiry into this matter. Does anyone know the appropriate steps, or whom to speak with regarding unethical campaigning?
One concerned resident,
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Carlos Meyers will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- WindSync "Simple Gifts: A Holiday Sampler"
- Shop Small on Small Business Saturday
- Local Author's Novel, Schrodinger's Dachshund, Set in Cudahy
- TOP 10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN BUYING A HOME
- Prasser-Kleczka is donating to Hunger Task Force but we need YOUR help!
- Freedom Gobel will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- Jamaica Gobel will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- Kemet Gobel will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- St. Mark's "Night of the Father's Love"