Saint Thomas More High School students lived out the school’s motto: “Inspired by Christ. Driven by Innovation,” raising over $1,000 through text messages and over $2,000 in all for the people of Haiti in just four days.
On Tuesday, January 19 at 11:00 a.m., normal classroom activity stopped to allow students to “break school rules to help the people of Haiti,” by texting to the Red Cross and donating $10 to their relief effort. One-hundred students and staff participated and in just five minutes, the school raised $1,000 for the Red Cross through text messages. Parents were notified of the event in advance and students were told to talk to their parents about the donation before taking part in the activity.
The school’s Student Council and Key Club helped plan the effort. For the remainder of the week, students brought in donations in order to have a “dress-down” day. That effort netted $1,002 for Catholic Relief Services.
- 40th Anniversary of the SM 1976 State Basketball Champs
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market temporarily moves for Evening on the Avenue Street Festival
- St Francis School District Rummage Sale
- South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center Presents: The Donny McCaslin Group- Musicians on David Bowie's Blackstar
- #YourStoryMKE Shares Personal Stories About Those Benefiting from Catholic Charities’ Programs
- Book Release Party at Cudahy Family Library
- Bay View Historical Society Annual Walk on August 6th
- St. Ann Center Gala Promises An Uplifting Experience
- Thank you from the Humboldt Park 4th of July Association
- August Summer Art Camps at Cattywampus