Scholastic Art Awards: 2010 Wisconsin Regional Exhibition
Two Saint Thomas More High School students, senior Rachel Wengelewski and freshman Max Voss, won awards at this year’s Scholastic Art Awards Wisconsin Regional Exhibition at the Milwaukee Art Museum.
Both STM students created paintings outside of class to enter into this competition. Voss received a Gold Key Award for his work, while Wengelewski received a Silver Key.
Art that is determined to receive a Gold Key goes on to compete against entries from over 65 other regional competitions at the national level. Silver Key Awards signify special statewide acknowledgement. Students receiving a Gold or Silver Medal at the national competition are honored at Carnegie Hall.
According to the Milwaukee Art Museum’s website, judges select around 350 pieces of art from over 1,200 entries from seventh through twelfth grade, in the categories: Architecture, Ceramics and Glass, Comic Art, Design, Digital Art, Drawing, Fashion, Film & Animation, Jewelry, Mixed Media, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, Sculpture, and Video Games. Twenty-four art professionals make up the judging panel.
The website says, “the Scholastic Art Awards have been recognizing and encouraging excellence in the visual arts throughout the United States for over 80 years. Since 1976, the Wisconsin Regional component has been hosted by the Milwaukee Art Museum, where thousands of young people and their teachers have been encouraged and inspired in their artistic endeavors. Many winners of the Scholastic Art Awards go on to achieve distinction in the fields of fine and applied arts and design, and credit the early recognition they received as a participant in Scholastic.”
The works are on display in the main entrance at the Art Museum until Sunday, March 21.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- First Day of School for St. Francis Public Schools
- Kelly Senior Center invites you to join their monthly Luncheon Outings
- Fun and Affordable Day Trips through Kelly Senior Center
- Animated Illusionist Ardan James to Perform
- South Milwaukee Downtown Market Plans Grand Reopening on July 31st - Shows off remodeled 11th Avenue Streetscape
- Bay View High School Holding 100th Anniversary
- Brain Injury Resource Center of Wisconsin, Inc.’s new informational commercial
- Post-Summer Polar Vortex, Return to the Beach and Check a Website for Conditions
- Local Theater Company Places Women in Spotlight in Upcoming World Premiere
- Relay For Life of the Southern 8 - August 1st