“A Better World” is the theme for this year’s Spring Concert by The Milwaukee Choristers (www.milwaukeechoristers.org). The concert will be presented at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Apr. 9 and Saturday, Apr. 10 in Schwan Hall at Wisconsin Lutheran College, 8815 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Dr. James B. Kinchen, Jr., The Milwaukee Choristers’ conductor since 1993, describes the concert as one that “affirms the optimism that has seen humanity through even the darkest of times – encouraged by the hope of a brighter tomorrow.” The program he has put together reflects that theme and showcases the versatility of the chorus, whose 75 members come from communities throughout Milwaukee County including South Milwaukee, Cudahy and St. Francis.
Kinchen has drawn upon the classical repertoire with works by Haydn, Brahms, da Palestrina, Faure and American composer Randall Thompson, from whose “Peaceable Kingdom” the Choristers will sing two selections.
Broadway and the movies will be represented by selections from “West Side Story,” “My Fair Lady” and “The Wizard of Oz.”
The program also includes music from the Brazilian rain forest and will end with the popular Peter Wilhousky choral arrangement of “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.”
The entire program is posted at www.milwaukeechoristers.org.
Tickets purchased in advance are $15, with discounted rates of $10 for seniors and $5 for students. At the door, the ticket prices will be $18, $12 and $6, respectively. All seating is general admission.
Tickets can be purchased via the chorus website, www.milwaukeechoristers.org, by calling 414/354-1933 or from any member of the 70-voice chorus.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bunny Plans Special Stop at Pulaski Pavilion
- BBB Warns Service Members of common scams during Military Saves Week
- Parkside Theatre Presents "A Midsummer Night's Dream"
- Franklin Artist Wins "Best of Show" at 2015 League of Milwaukee Artists' Spring Show
- Band Together Concert Fundraiser to feature UW-Madison Marching Band
- #1 Show Cats in the World live right here in Milwaukee
- Holocaust Remembrance Service
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Outpost Coop
- Essay Winners from the Daughters of the American Revolution - Milwaukee Chapter
- Inspired by Love of Their Country, Local Contractor Gifts Veteran Family New Furnace to Help Them through Harsh Winter