Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare - St. Francis ranks among top 5 percent in nation for emergency medicine
Emergency medicine care at Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare – St. Francis has been found to be among the top 5% of hospitals in the nation, according to a new study released by HealthGrades, the leading independent health care ratings organization.
As a result, St. Francis is the recipient of the HealthGrades 2010 Emergency Medicine Excellence Award™.
St. Francis is one of six hospital recipients in Wisconsin. Only 255 of the 4,900 U.S. hospitals examined for their mortality rates in 11 of the most common conditions for Medicare patients associated with emergency medicine received this award.
St. Francis has a 39% lower mortality rate for the 11 conditions studied. The mortality rates were risk-adjusted so that hospitals with sicker and older patients could be compared on equal footing with other hospitals.
“I thank our medical staff and our employees for their continued commitment to clinical and patient service excellence,” said Dan Mattes, President of Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare – St. Francis. “It is an honor to have St. Francis ranked among the top 5% of hospitals in the nation for emergency medical care. It’s also noteworthy that an independent organization rated us as a top performer.”
The HealthGrades study used 5 million Medicare patient records from 2006, 2007, and 2008 to analyze mortality rates in the following 11 conditions: bowel obstruction, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, diabetic acidosis and coma, gastrointestinal bleed, heart attack, pancreatitis, pneumonia, pulmonary embolism, respiratory failure, sepsis and stroke.
Hospitals in the top 5% improved their patient outcomes in these 11 conditions 16% over the time period studied, compared with a 10% improvement for all other hospitals in the U.S.
- Get The Most Out of Your Self Storage Unit Space
- Clare Heights Senior Apartments Nationally Recognized
- Bay View resident awarded $3,000 Northwestern Mutual grant
- United Performing Arts Fund to Allocate a Record $9.175 Million to Performing Arts Groups
- New Bay View Salon Launches Holiday Program To Benefit Wisconsin Humane Society
- Stay Away From Our Flavors Big Tobacco
- Cigar MKE Rolling on a River is July 28th
- Prom and Graduation Safety
- Bay View Wine Fest Still Local Favorite
- New Yarn Shop Coming to Bay View